19 Lessons Learned by 19

19 Lessons Learned by 19

25
19 Lessons Learned by 19
Personal Picture

July came around the corner very abruptly and now it is over. For many people, the month of July meant fireworks, bonfires, beach days, relaxing vacations and for students...the halfway mark of summer. For me, July means becoming another year older. On July 15th, I turned 19. Life has been one hell of a rollercoaster. Here are 19 lessons I have learned by the age of 19.

1. Do what you love and love what you do

Do not be afraid to take a leap of faith, especially if it means doing what you love. Do what you love and put all the love you have into it. Do not be afraid of judgement of other people. If somebody actually cares about you, they will not judge you, and those are the people you keep in your life forever and they will be you cheerleader. Do what you love and love what you do.

2. Forgive and Forget

I think this is one of the most important lessons that I have learn thus far. This is important because everyone makes mistakes. I make mistakes and so do you. It

3. There will always be someone trying to compete with you

I have come to realize in my 19 years of life that there with ALWAYS be someone trying to compete with you. There will always be someone who wants the same boy that you do, someone who tries to make more home-runs than you in baseball and someone that will wear the same outfit as you but try to be more fashionable. Whether you are ok with it or not, you will always feel like you are in a competition. Just be you and do not let anyone bring you down!

4. You can't find happiness in other people

This is one of the most important lessons I have learned. Yes, I know your friends make you happy so does your significant other, as well as your family. But the truth is, at the end of the day the only person that can bring you happiness is yourself. Learn to make yourself happy before you try searching for it in another person. Make yourself happy and love yourself. Do what makes you happy and not because another person wants you to.

5. Always take the opportunity to travel

The best way to learn and find yourself is to experience life first hand. Traveling to places like Barcelona and Paris opened my eyes to new culture that I have become to know and love. When you travel you meet an overload of new people and become closer with those you already know. Take the opportunity. Bring your best friend and go on an awesome adventure. No turning back. Do not be afraid!

6. Listen to your Grandparents wisdom

They know best. Your Grandparents have experienced life themselves and helped another generation live through life. Grandma and Grandpa will tell you the most important life lessons and ways to live. I promise that if you listen, your life will be a hell of a lot better. All they want is for you to live the greatest life possible.

7. It's important to be on your own

Honestly, all I have to say for this one is to treat yourself and love yourself. Enjoy your own company. Read a book. Take a walk. Buy yourself dinner. Do what you love because you love it and not because someone wants you to. Love yourself and learn to love being alone. Achieve this before you even consider trying to love someone else because I promise it will not work out how you want it to.

8. Making time for the people you care about is optimal

You are never too busy to see the people you love. I know that life gets in the way sometimes, but your friends and family are important. Even if it is for an hour, every minute counts. It does not matter how busy you are, you will push aside other responsibilities.

9. Try new things

Stop saying no. Who knows, saying yes can be the best decision you have ever made.

10. Not everyone is meant to stay in your life

There will come to specific times in your life when you find your person. Whether it is your best friend or your significant other...they will be the person that you turn to in time of need. They will spend everyday with you. They will be your shoulder to cry on and there to crack a joke when you need one. You will be inseparable and you WILL think that you would never be able to survive without them. Then suddenly, they aren't in your life anymore. It will hurt but every person is in your life for a reason and will teach you some sort of lesson. Just never forget that sometimes it was not meant to be and if it is you will find your way back to each other.

11. Be Grateful

This one speaks for itself...be grateful. Say thank you. Appreciate what you have and the things that people do for you. Say I love you to the people you love and do anything and everything for those that you care about. Smile. Be happy. Be friendly.

12. It's ok to ask for help

Asking for help can become overwhelming and frightening, but at the end of the day, it will only have a positive impact. Ask for help, learn. You will not regret it, I promise. This is coming from a shy girl that was also afraid to ask for help when she was in need.

13. Time Management

School and Work first. Fun later.

14. Be Kind to Everyone

A smile won't hurt. Treat others how you would like to be treated.

15. Treat Yourself

Who needs a significant other to treat you to nice things when you can treat yourself? Buy yourself that cookie you have been craving for weeks. Buy that new eyeshadow pallet that you have been raving about. Treat yourself to a mani pedi. It is ok to spoil yourself!

16. Time Heals All Wounds

I understand that it feels like the end of the world right now, but as time passing it will hurt less and less. Before you know it, that thing that is making your stomach jump to your throat will go away. Give it time. I promise.

17. Learn How to be Confrontational

Take your problems head on. Don't sugar coat it. Say what you have to say and move on but do not let people walk all over you. Solve your problems do not just let them go unnoticed. Speak up for yourself

18. It's ok to feel homesick

Don't be afraid to go home every now and then. Especially if you are a college kid living at school. Of course it is exciting to have fun and live with your best friends, but sometimes all you need is a netflix night at home in the comfort of your own bed at home and to be with your family.

19. Live Your Life to the Fullest

Don't be afraid. Have Fun. Love. Be Wise. Be Happy. Live your life fearlessly.