Lessons You Learn In College That Your Professors Won't Teach You

11

There are some lessons you will learn in college that your professors won't teach you. Even though you won't be graded on the lessons learned outside of class, they are probably the most important ones you will ever be taught.

1. Naps are essential. You will not survive in college without naps. You'll learn to sleep when and where you can. Even if you have never taken naps before, you will in college. Because you will be that sleep deprived.

2. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. For many of us, college is our first time away from our parents. We are now allowed to make our own decisions. Many of us quickly learn that just because you can do something, definitely does not mean you should. Like you can eat a breakfast of left-over cake, but you probably shouldn't.

3. You should definitely do your laundry... No one likes someone who smells gross. Just do your laundry. It's not that bad. If you're really smart, you can go to the laundry room with a friend and study... Or not study. Okay, so my friend and I go to the laundry room and gossip while we wait for our laundry to finish (Lilly- thank you for being my Wednesday night laundry and gossip buddy. I love you.)

4. You need a study spot. A lot of the time studying in your dorm isn't the best option. There are distractions, like friends and movies and sleeping in your bed. You'll find a spot in the library or a coffee shop or some hidden classroom no one ever uses. Everyone likes a different environment to study in; you'll find yours soon enough after classes start.

5. HYDRATE OR DIE-DRATE. Seriously, there is a reason everyone in college walks around with water bottles. Drink lots of water. It's already a struggle to stay healthy while in school, the last thing you need is to get dehydrated. Being dehydrated means you get headaches, you'll be extra tired, and everything becomes awful and horrible. So make sure you drink plenty of water.

6. Home-cooked food is the best thing ever. After so many days of living off of ramen, snack foods, and food from the cafeteria, home-cooked food is actually the best thing in the entire world. Get as much of it as often as you can.

7. Keep your dorm room door open. As weird as that sounds, by keeping my dorm room open, I have met a lot of cool people and become good friends with many people on my hall. People will come over and study, watch movies, or just hang out.

8. You need your friends now more than ever. Especially if college is the first time you've ever been away from home, you are in the midst of a huge transition. Your friends are in the same boat as you are and you will need each other. You will make so many memories with the friends you meet in college and they will always be there for you and vice versa.