19 Things I Learned In 19 Years

19 Things I Learned In 19 Years

College has only helped me put these lessons to use.
136

My birthday is right around the corner and it has been an interesting year. My life has changed a lot since beginning college, and I've had time to reflect on the bigger things in life. So, with that came a list of things I have learned over the years and the ones that were most important to me.

1. Always carry $20 hidden in your wallet.

You never know when it’s going to come in handy. It will get you that little bit of gas to take you where you need to go.

2. Leave the house dressed as if you'll run into someone.

Never, ever leave the house dressed as a slob. Saying to yourself, “I’m only going to Shoprite, nobody is going to see me,” does in fact put some bad Voodoo on yourself and you’ll see everyone from your kindergarten teacher to your former crush. Dress nicely when you leave the house.

3. Always try your best.

If you don’t try your best on an assignment or even in life then your results are not acceptable.

4. Find new friends that your old friends would like.

If your old friends who have known you since you were five do not like the new friends you’re making in college, it’s time to reevaluate. Thankfully I seem to have made some good decisions.

5. You can always call your parents.

Who else are you going to call at 11 a.m. on a Tuesday after you failed your first math test? The answer is nobody else.

6. Your mom is always your excuse.

My mom always told me that if I didn’t want to go out all I had to say was, “My mom won’t let me go.” I’ve used that one more than I care to admit.

7. Laughing is the cure for everything.

Even if you’re in your worst mood and you crack a smile it just seems to make everything better.

8. Your mom is always right.

She just always is. Don’t argue with it.

9. Springsteen is superior to Bon Jovi.

I don’t even think this one needs an explanation.

10. You should let your dad watch the Yankee game every once in awhile.

My poor dad watches any show that I want to. Some nights you just need to blend into the couch and let him relax.

11. A book is a great way to escape.

If you want to dive into a world that is not your own a book is a great way to do so. Always have on on hand.

12. Find people you can laugh with but also sit in silence for hours and not have it be awkward.

My best friends and I can laugh at the stupidest things, but we can sit in silence on the hammock in their backyard and talk about nothing and be content. You need a mixture of both in your life.

13. Wake up early every once in awhile.

You accomplish more things in the morning hours than you think you would.

14. You can become quick friends with anyone if they listen to one direction as well.

Something I have been learning for the last six years. The band just brings people together.

15. Friday’s call for chocolate ice cream.

The school weeks in college are tough. Why not end your week on a high note with some homemade ice cream?

16. The beach can solve all your problems.

If you sit there for long enough, the answers will come to you.

17. Giving compliments make all the difference.

Think of how good you feel when someone tells you they like your hair. Repay the favor every once in awhile.

18. Spend quality time with your family.

Having dinner every night with them or just texting each other random funny things are the best ways to stay connected.

19. Do things that make you happy.

Happiness is apart of life. If you don’t have you, try and find it.

These are just some of the things I have learned over the years that have made all the difference in life.