5 Lessons To Take Away From Netflix's 'Good On Paper'

If you think he checks all the boxes, check again.

28
Instagram: @goodonpapernetflix

'Good on Paper' is a new Netflix original movie that stars Iliza Shlesinger. In this movie, Shlesinger plays Andrea Singer, a stand-up comedian who after years of focusing on her career meets a man who appears to be practically perfect. As the movie, unfolds she finds out that he might not be as perfect as he seemed on paper. This movie actually offers a unique perspective as Andrea's story parallels a similar experience that Shlesinger faced, which is ultimately what inspired her to create this film. Since sharing her story, Iliza has been surprised to learn how many other people have experienced similar situations to her own. So here are some lessons you can take away from Netflix's new original movie, 'Good on Paper'.

1. Listen to your gut

Towards the end of the film, Andrea says to her friend that she shouldn't have gone out with this guy anyway because she knew in her gut something was wrong. I'm sure there's at least a few moments in your life where things might have just turned out slightly better had you just listened to your gut in the first place.

2. Your friends have your best interest at heart

In the film, it is Andrea's best friend, Margot, who begins to question Dennis' story. While Andrea didn't want to hear what her friend was saying at first, ultimately it was her friend looking out for her best interest. So while we might not always like what our friends have to say, they might not be entirely wrong.

3. It's okay to not be where you thought you'd be

One of the biggest things Andrea struggles with in the movie is not being where she wanted to be in life by this time. I think those feelings are something a lot of people can relate to because we have these expectations for ourselves and think if we aren't where we thought we should be by that point we've failed. Just because you're not where you thought you'd be doesn't automatically mean you've failed.

4. Trust yourself

This one really goes along with follow your gut; but, Iliza really took the time to emphasize this idea in the movie when she included it in her stand-up bit that is included in parts of the movie. She makes a point about how there comes a point when you think you were too tough on someone and maybe misjudged them for listening to your instincts to stay away. When in reality, its your instincts that are designed to keep you safe.

5. Lying will catch up to you

While you didn't see this first hand through Andrea's story, we see it a lot with Dennis. Dennis throughout the entire movie is constantly lying and in the end that all catches up to him. It's so much better to be honest and have people not like the real you than lie.