Lessons from a German Shepherd

Lessons from a German Shepherd

Just The Two Of Us

8823
Lessons from a German Shepherd
Photo by Sofia Guaico on Unsplash

After the radical ride you and I have had over the first six months we have been together, Scooby-Doo, you have taught me a lot. From winning a massive scholarship, heartbreaks, new jobs, living on our own, borderline suicidal nights, and forced to flee our home, we have been together. I feel like I should share these lessons with you, the reader, in hopes that maybe you too, will learn the lessons I have.

1: Always find time for fun (even when it is time for bed)

From the day we met at the humane society, you have always been a wild pup. The moment the handler brought you into the room to meet, you immediately ran up to me and licked my face, and coincidentally head-butted me, and gave me a bloody nose. I knew at that moment, you and I were gonna take on the world together. Every-night when I crawl into bed, you still jump on the bed with all of your toys and try to get me to play. Growling and pawing at me, because you still think my hands are toys. Whenever I am working on homework, or playing Fortnite, you always bring your Darth Vader, or your red dragon squeaky toys up to me, to tell me you want to play. An adventurous pup at heart, we continue to explore new places across the state, and soon, the country.

2: Forgiveness

During this wild ride we are on together, I have been engaged, then broken up with, started a new relationship that failed, and got back together on and off with the woman whom we both call your "mom". The day that she left, I held you and listened to Will Smith's "Just The Two Of Us", because that is exactly what it was. It captures all the feelings I felt, and still feel. You came up to me, and placed your head in my lap as if to say "I'm here". When your "Mom" came back, you immediately ran to her and wouldn't stop wagging your tail and stood next to her. You were the motivation to forgive and forget the hurt, and move on. If you could forgive her, I could too.

3: Honesty

Recently, you have been ripping up everything you can when I leave.