Lessons For A Freshman From A Recent Graduate

Explore, learn, and change the world.

14
PEXELS

Hey, everyone! My name is Alex. I am 22 years old, and I just graduated from the "GREATEST" college ever. So far, they have been the BEST four years of my life! It hasn't always been this easy, though. Moving to college was a HUGE, AMAZING, and SCARY milestone in my life. If you're a recent high school grad, transitioning from a community college to a four-year college, or even thinking about going to college sometime in the future... this article is JUST FOR YOU! College has helped me become a BETTER, STRONGER, and most importantly, a HAPPIER person. So why not? Here are some tidbits that will help you in your transition to college that I wish I knew before starting:

1. Learn to be independent.

Sorry to tell you this, but your folks aren't always going to be there to pay for your meal, your tank of gas, or even give you your allowance. You have to learn how to do your dishes, your laundry, cook food, shower, and even sleep ON YOUR OWN! You may think that you are self-sufficient and strong, but there are so many things that you still have to learn. You will learn to be independent eventually!

2. Get involved.

No matter what school you go to, you will definitely be bored if you don't join a club or organization. Whether you go to a big school or small one, GET INVOLVED. I went to school in the small town of Farmville, VA, and there isn't much to do. I was honestly bored out of my mind. But once I joined clubs and organizations, I learned to love not only my school, but the small town I lived in too.

3. Ask questions.

It may feel like you are the only new one at school, but you're not. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of others JUST LIKE YOU. The questions that you have, are also the questions that others have. Don't be afraid to raise your hand and ask that question. You never know, you might meet your next best friend.

4. It's okay to be scared.

No one says that this is an easy transition! It's a whole different world out there, right at your finger tips. It may be overwhelming with orientations, signing up for classes, and meeting all new people, but here's the secret: take it ONE STEP AT A TIME. Even the smallest step is progress. You could go out to a club interest meeting or even something small like asking your RA to get a meal. There are so many opportunities out there, take them. You won't regret it!

5. NETWORK.

You will hear this a million times, NETWORK! In other words, make friends, take the time out of your day to go talk to your teacher, and say hi to that one person that sits alone at the dining hall. After college, you never know who you would need to connect with to get that job, get some housing, or even grab a bite to eat. It only takes one connection to change your life. SO why not? Get out there and show the world who you are!

6. Stay open.

I can't emphasize enough, COLLEGE IS FULL OF OPPORTUNITIES! Take them. You might be scared, excited, overwhelmed, nervous, or even anxious... it's okay! Experience things out of your comfort zone, and maybe you will be able to find a new hobby or a new passion in life. I came into college with an undeclared major, I explored classes, then declared a biology major... that didn't work out. Afterwards, I declared a business administration major. If I didn't stay open I wouldn't have found the thing I loved in life. If I can do it, you can do it too!

7. It's okay to be different.

I'll be the first one to tell you that high school is A LOT different than college. High school is full of cliques and drama, stress and judgment. No one wants to be a part of that. In college, there is no judgment; you don't have to worry about fitting in. There is a group out there for everyone. Even you! Have hope, and stick to who you are. No one can be you, except you.

8. Make mistakes.

At the end of the day, you are young. You have so much life to live! You are a mere speck in the grand scheme of something called life. Make mistakes, learn from them, and move on. Try not to make the same mistake twice. It's better to make the mistakes now rather than later. Explore, learn, and CHANGE THE WORLD.

9. Call your folks.

The least you can do is call your folks. It doesn't have to be your parents, it can be your role model, your brother or sister, your guardian, your step dad or mom, anyone! There is someone out there that helped you become who you are. Call them and tell them about your day, the new friend you made, or even the last meal you had. They might not say thank you or directly show you that they are appreciative, BUT THEY ARE.

10. Enjoy it while it lasts.

If you just finished high school, you're probably excited to start the new adventure of college. These last 4 years of high school probably felt like forever, and you just want to move on; but let me tell you, these next 4ish years of college will be the best years of your life. Make the most out of it and take in every experience and opportunity you can! Have fun, stay strong, and enjoy it while it lasts. And most importantly, ALWAYS HAVE HOPE.

"Seek God's will in all that you do and He will direct your path"

- Proverbs 3:6