11 Lessons I Learned As A Camp Counselor

The lessons you learn and the memories you make stay with you for life.

6
Breanna Redmond

If you work at a summer camp, even for just one season, you are aware it changes you. The lessons you learn and the memories you make stay with you for life. I learned a lot about myself and definitely would love to do it again. If there is anyone who might be considering this summer job, I highly encourage you to do it.

1. Learn how to make anything fun.

Let’s be real — elementary and junior high kids are not going to want to clean. If they do, you are extremely lucky. If not, play some music and turn the night of cleaning into a dance party.

2. Always be prepared.

Let’s face it — you’ll have that one camper who will forget sunscreen or bug spray so you learn quickly to keep extra of both in your backpack.

3. You need to take care of yourself.

Make sure you take care of yourself, because your campers look up to you that week. It’s not any fun when everybody is out boating or swimming, and you’re sitting in the health house because you didn’t drink enough water earlier that morning during the photo hike. You never want your campers following what you do when it comes to something like that.

4. Alone time is key.

I know it's fun to go out to the movies with the other counselors on your time off, but make sure you catch up on sleep and take time to relax by yourself. You have a lot more patience and fun when you're not incredibly stressed out.

5. How to function on only a few hours of sleep

You almost always have that one camper who keeps you up most of the night because she/he is homesick or upset because of something another camper did, and you as a counselor have to help guide them through their rough night.

6. A break from technology is good.

It made it easier to be present with the campers when I didn’t have easy access to television, my laptop or cell phone signal. Thanks to not having technology, I bonded a lot quicker with my campers in a span of a week than I have some of my friends in months.

7. "Fake it until you make it."

I know when I had to run high ropes, I was terrified because I absolutely despise heights, but I couldn’t let the kids know I was uncomfortable, so I painted a smile on my face and belayed on. Turns out if you pretend to be confident, it can really help you be confident.

8. Be yourself.

I’m a weird individual, and I was scared to actually show my weird side until week three when I wore a penguin costume to one of the night activities. I was scared to actually do it, but like I said before, fake it until you make it. I wore it with confidence, and the campers adored it, and the counselors actually got a kick out of it too. If you come into camp shy and scared to be yourself, it isn't nearly as fun as when you finally decide to be yourself.

9. Communication is key.

When you only have a week or two of training before you have campers come, you have to learn how to communicate effectively. If you don't learn how to communicate with your coworkers, activities can go wrong and the campers won't have fun.

10. How to live out of limited space

I thought sharing a dorm room is hard. What’s really hard is having to live out of a suitcase because you don’t want to have to repack in case you have to switch cabins the next week.

11. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Every camper and even the staff you have the pleasure to meet has a story that makes them who they are. You will hear good stories, but you will also hear stories that will break your heart.