A Lesson In Thankfulness: Letting Go

A Lesson In Thankfulness: Letting Go

19
A Lesson In Thankfulness: Letting Go

They say you leave a piece of you wherever you go. Story of my life.

Using this logic, you'd think after all of the leaving and going and doing, you'd have nothing left of yourself to leave in new places. Surprisingly, I've experienced otherwise.

Amidst the brokenness that this phrase seems to echo, it is also such a powerful and beautiful gift! You see, we love a lot of things that we will eventually have to leave behind. And though the trial comes in walking away from that which you love, my notion is that the trial enables you to hold more dearly what you once had.

According to the phrase, you leave a part of yourself: with your family as you leave them, at your old schools, jobs, or churches, with your friends that are many states away, or right beside you. Some people leave pieces in different countries. Part of you somehow exists in previous, extinguished relationships, romantic or otherwise. You have left a part of yourself in the most breathtaking places, as you are always able to go back and revisit them in a memory. You left a part of yourself with your loved ones who are no longer fighting their earthly battles, and yes, you also left a part of yourself in the excruciatingly hard times you never knew you'd see the other side of.

The point is this: If all you did was keep leaving pieces, you wouldn't have the ability to withstand leaving anymore. This means you'd not be capable of loving, taking risks, taking in the scenery, or educating yourself, for fear of giving what's left of yourself away.

Take it from someone who should probably be an expert on leaving the things, situations, or people you love-- the beauty in allowing yourself to still experience these things in your present and future circumstances is found in the headway made by leaving part of yourself behind. Now, you'll be able to fill whatever void created by this loss with new changes, experiences, and love.

How else would my heart (contentedly) be in so many places at once? With strong faith in the Lord and His love, we are able to continually give and receive love at a pace that only He can keep up with.

Next time you've been pushed too far, you feel too separated from where you think you should be, or you feel like there is nothing left of yourself to give, be careful; you might be asking to leave a part of you in your dissatisfaction, too.

Don't be fooled! Your love will never be too far spread. Letting new adventures in while never forgetting the love of the old ones; that's one of the things I'm most thankful for.