Conquering The Day: Leslie Knope Style

Conquering The Day: Leslie Knope Style

9 things to remember throughout the day, as inspired by the "Parks and Recreation" legend.

46
Conquering The Day: Leslie Knope Style
Lovelace Media

Sometimes, we just need a small reminder that we alone are enough: a small boost of confidence to get us through those days that seem to never end. Often, the remedy is simple: a cozy spot curled up in a blanket, a cup of coffee, and being immersed in the truth and inspirationally bold wisdom and humor of one of Parks and Recreation’s best.

If you are looking for a cognitive diversion, and some smiles, this is your stop! The following are lessons and insight learned from Leslie Knope, especially when you need it the most.

1. Stay positive!

Even the darkest days will terminate. Do not dwell on the negativity. Do not succumb to its tenacious grip, or you will lose sight of what is important.

2. Know that you can endure whatever obstacles the day presents to you!

Put in some earbuds, listen to your favorite song, and free yourself of negative thinking.

3. Sometimes you just have to give yourself some love.

Self-affirmation is a great confidence booster. We are often horrible, self-deprecating critics, and this truly sends us in the direction to which we should not seek to travel. Give yourself a compliment every now and then. You deserve it.

4. Dance!

If you have a good day, celebrate it. The brevity of life is reason enough. Not all days are going to have perfect culminations. Whether alone in your room, or with your friends, a little celebratory dance party is always a good idea.

5. If someone is giving you a hard time, try to reframe your thinking.

If you are the subject of uninvited advice or criticism, let the offender be. Perhaps they really do care about you, but they project it in an atypical manner. You do not have to execute their commands, just listen until they are finished presenting their perspective, and then gently communicate to them any misunderstandings that may have emerged. Sometimes peoples’ intentions get obscured because of the inadvertent way in which they choose to communicate. As Leslie Knope states, sometimes we just need to look at it as if they are caring loudly at us.

6. Be aware of the things you cannot do, but do not dwell on them.

Acknowledge that you cannot excel at everything. Focus your energy on what you can do, and keep striving. What is impossible now may not be quite so difficult or unattainable later.

7. Indulge in your favorite food.

Some days call for you to whip out that pint of Ben & Jerry’s you have been stashing in the freezer, or eat waffles until you are no longer able. Either way, it is certainly nice to take a momentary break from whatever is occurring and remind yourself to breathe-- you still have your favorite food by your side, and seldom will its loyalty disillusion you!

8. Remember that sometimes, there is nothing wrong with saying "no."

9. Lastly, give yourself a “thumbs up.”

It is OK to recognize achievement. Life is tough sometimes, but you are far greater than the challenges you face. If you are doing the best you can, that itself is enough.