Lent Is Such An Amazing Season, Religious Or Not

Lent Is Such An Amazing Season, Whether Or Not You Are Religious

It has the power to transform you

114
https://unsplash.com/photos/uK7elTW013o

Lent is here! For those who don't know, this a six week period that prepares us to celebrate Easter where Christians fast, give up, and adapt certain disciplines. There are many purposes to this season. It can be to rid yourself of bad habits, discipline yourself, or start good habits.

It is an opportunity to step back, realize, and reestablish what gives you purpose and who we ultimately are living for.

I think we all need to sit and evaluate that. Who are we living for? What are we doing to get where we want to go? Are our decisions in line with who we want to be?

Once we get those answers and goals set, we can make strides towards the person we want to be which is ultimately the best version of ourselves and it is those steps forward we make every day that leads us to that place. Look at the little victories of everyday life and celebrate the progress because that is how you will get where you want to go.

Lent gives us such an amazing opportunity to do that. We all long for something that is greater than ourselves, whether it is volunteering, being there for a friend, or going on a mission trip, God designed us to serve others so when we become that best version of ourselves, we are giving the world the person He has created us to be. We are a gift to be shared and Lent allows us to get serious and dive into the things we can improve on and ways we can grow.

Jesus walked through the desert with no food or water for forty days being tempted by the devil and was then crucified, dying for our sins. I remind myself this when I am being tempted to eat junk food or spend another 30 minutes on social media.

God has given us the grace and strength to face those temptations and battles. He doesn't leave us to face it alone. He is always with us, equipping us with the graces and mercy needed to take on every day. Now the question is are we going to let our desires control us or are we going to take control of our desires?

It takes 21 days to create a habit, Lent is 40. Who are you going to be by Easter?