How 'Lemonade' Just Changed The Way We Look At Black Women

And now "Formation" finally makes sense!

26

In case you haven't seen Beyoncé's new visual album, "Lemonade," I will provide the link below! Let me start off by saying, wow! This is the start of something amazing. I cannot wait for what is in store for this year in music. Beyoncé has managed to not only provide us with her political standpoint on race and gender in America, but she has also managed to reassure every woman of every background that the two minutes of pure insanity that we experience is completely normal and justified. She has managed to provide a visual of what black women have overcome over the past century and what we are still facing today.

Not only that, but she managed to have the mothers of the victims that were murdered due to police brutality hold pictures of their sons to show the injustice in this system, where black boys and men are set up to fail. That alone shows that we stand together, not only as black women, but as daughters, mothers and elders to provide change and assurance. Even if takes an appearance in a visual album that portrays the transformation of black women or a stand in protest in the street to show what is wrong with our system, by every means we will do so.

Beyoncé hit on the subject of love and intimate relationships with black women. She revealed personal information with her own relationship with Jay-Z. Black women in particular have difficulty finding the right man to grow with, because not everyone wants to grow up with their dad all over again, but in an intimate relationship.

She sings about black women taking their fathers' direction when it comes to finding love, because unfortunately most older black men know how black women were and are treated. She also hits on the confusion of finding love for your father and your husband in times of hardship ("Teach me how to make him beg. Let me make up for the years he made you wait. Did he bend your reflection? Did he make you forget your own name? Did he convince you he was a god? Am I talking about your husband or your father?")

Even so, she speaks of forgiveness and why it is hard for women in general to forgive men after being torn apart. She hints at forgiving Jay-Z after throwing shade with, "He only want me when I'm not there, he better call Becky with the good hair." She also speaks of forgiving her father and, most importantly, slaying side-chicks to the dust where they belong.

She empowers all women, but black women in particular, to keep going and fulfill their dreams before fulfilling someone else's. She reminds you to never quit when the world throws labels, hate and negativity to your name and face: "Imma keep on running because a winner don't quit on themselves."

Most importantly, Beyoncé was able to show what black women have been fighting for, and what we have been trying to get our society to see for a very long time now. We are disrespected, we are judged and underestimated, but we are strong, we are powerful! Not only do we have to build up an image that our ancestors and elders fought for, we have to break down this curse and false image of what black women are -- "There is a curse that will be broken," "You are terrifying and strange and beautiful" -- and we have to build a foundation for young black girls and woman to feel comfortable with themselves.

The video itself moves from different stages throughout the history of black women in today's society and the past decades. The stages are denial, anger, apathy, emptiness, loss, accountability, reformation, forgiveness, resurrection, hope and redemption. One thing that most people don't understand is that, as black women, we are expected to be angry, to be independent, to be loud, to be submissive, to be bold, to be disrespectful and to wear a mask over our faces to fit this stereotype that has been created many years ago. As Beyoncé sings, "I tried to change, closed my mouth more, tried to be softer, prettier and less awake."

This visual album accepts some of those stereotypes but also shows the greatness in not being afraid to be who we are. Carrying ourselves this way shows that we do slay and that this fight, this broken curse, doesn't stop here.

In the video, she has some of the strongest black females in the game, such as Amandla Stenberg, Zendaya Coleman, Chloe and Halle Bailey, Serena Williams,Quvenzhane Wallis, Winnie Harlow and Michaela DePrince. We even got to see snippets of Beyoncé's personal life. Most importantly Jay-Z's grandmother blessed us with her famous saying, "I was served lemons, but I made lemonade" -- that changed everyone's life forever.

If you haven't watched the "Lemonade" film, you should take an hour out of your day and do so. It is great visual album and the music and lyrics she gives us explain it all. Just listen to the lyrics and you'll understand that this video was more than just another Beyoncé album dropped overnight.

This video will allow all women to finally see how important it is to stick together and to empower each other instead of judging and sizing each other up. This album has creating a stepping stone and new beginning for our country to finally stop degrading, stereotyping and disrespecting black women. Thank you, Beyoncé, for taking a risk in your career to make a change in this country. It was needed. And with that being said, OK ladies, now let's get in formation!