Lehigh University: Why You Should Attend A Lehigh After Dark Event

What are you doing Friday night?

As I sat outside the library at my school, Lehigh University, my friend suddenly turned to me, pointed to my many books in disarray, and said “You know, this is why we’re here. The parties and socializing are all just added bonuses, this is why we’re at Lehigh.”

I, of course, know that Lehigh, and all other students, attend college with the purpose of furthering their education. However, there comes a point where I think we have all found ourselves slightly losing sight of our purpose in attending any college or university. It becomes all too simple to become wrapped up in the social life, the freedom of independence, and become blinded by the glittery-haze that is college life.

For Lehigh students, I have a suggestion for when the purpose behind school life becomes blurred. Attend a Lehigh After Dark event. This is not a promotional tactic and I do not work in Student Affairs. I recommend these events because after attending the Diner En Blanc this past Friday night, my eyes were opened to an entirely new Lehigh perspective.

Here are the reasons why I now believe in attending Lehigh After Dark events:

1. Meet new people

As corny as it may sound, Lehigh After Dark is a great way to simply meet new people. Friends from throughout campus can meet in one neutral place to have an amazing time. Laugh, joke, and take a break from a normally chaotic party scene. Everyone is included, there are no fraternity/sorority restrictions, and there is always someone new to meet.

2. Take a study break

These events are the perfect opportunity to spend a well-needed study break. With a heavy course load, and stressful upcoming week, sometimes it is best to spend a Friday night in doing work. However, everyone needs a study break, and Lehigh After Dark provides an alcohol-free way to enjoy yourself with fun activities.

3. Academics really are why we are here

I enjoy a night out as much as the next girl. I love dressing up, going out with friends, and enjoying the weekend. But my friend was right, “this is why we’re here.” Studying, taking a break from the social scene, and forcing ourselves to stay in is necessary for understanding why we go to this school. Night life is a bonus, but it should also be well-rounded and allow us to interact with people from various social circles, which is what the Lehigh After Dark activities provide.

All that it took was one event, one day of choosing to be more open-minded to change my perspective on these activities. The Diner En Blanc event was beautiful. Fireworks, food, and friends made for a great night.

Sometimes, in order to appreciate what a great opportunity we have attending a school like Lehigh University, we must open our minds to appreciate all it has to offer, and realize there is more than one way to have fun, and find our balance between social-life and school-life. Do not allow yourself to becomes to magnetized to either pole of the spectrum.