Leggings Are Pants, Get Over It

Leggings Are Pants, Get Over It

Debunking a myth for the good of humanity.

53
Leggings Are Pants, Get Over It
via giphy.com

There comes a time in a young woman's life when she must be a voice for her generation. Now seems like it is my time to speak up.

And I am here to speak on the behalf of young women and men everywhere and debunk the saying that, "leggings aren't pants".

That saying drives me up the wall. The people who say, "leggings aren't pants" live their lives on a mighty high horse and look down at me for trying to find one source of comfort and joy in this cruel world that we live in. The whole basis of their argument is that leggings are "see-through" and that people need to be more "modest". Well, to be perfectly clear, when I refer to leggings, I refer to actual, thick, yoga-pant-like leggings. Not the sheer black tights that I guess some people have tried to wear as pants. However, let me be perfectly clear, there is a very distinct difference between actual leggings and tights. Real leggings feel like spandex and are much stretchier than jeans. Real leggings are real pants.

As for the modesty argument, modesty is subjective. Wearing proper leggings means that nothing is see-through so therefore everything is covered. Can't get more modest than total coverage. The only argument for modesty that can be made against leggings is that they are very tight. Sure, they may be tight but so are skinny jeans. No one seems to be denying the fact that skinny jeans are pants. Therefore, why do we deny that leggings are pants? What's the difference between yoga pants and leggings? Exactly.

If I'm going to spend $50+ on one pair of leggings, you best believe I'm wearing them out in public. The number one reason why I wear leggings is comfort. They are not a cry for attention nor do they show a lack of self-respect. All they show is that I like to be comfortable, even while in public. Today's skinny jeans are similar to the corsets and hoop skirts of the 1800s. They may seem form-fitting but are extremely uncomfortable.

Now I understand how leggings may seem unprofessional. They belong in the same category as jeans when it comes to "office apparel". However, my 10:30 Stats class is not where I'm looking for a job interview. I do not plan on establishing my career while simultaneously hanging out with my friends at our local diner. Obviously there are clothes for the workplace, but leggings should be allowed for an everyday public outing. What kind of world do we live in where I am criticized for wearing leggings to my local grocery store?

To all the legging-haters out there, I say this: keep your tight jeans. Keep your pantsuits, keep your pencil skirts, keep your weirdly-patterned pants. Keep it all. But let me live. Let me have my leggings in peace.

The next grandma, mother, or older sister who tells me that, "leggings aren't pants" wil only get one response from me: Get over it.