I Left The Nest

I Left The Nest

But I didn't think I would feel this adult so soon.

11
I Left The Nest
Bob Myers

When we are younger we don’t realize all of the things our parents or guardians ever did for us growing up. Even when we were told “you know, someday we won’t be there to do this and that for you.” we don't really think about how hard it'll actually be. I’m here to say that it’s tough but it’s doable.

About three weeks ago I left the nest. Thus far it has been challenging as well as eye opening but it has also been a blast. I live with my best friend that I have known since I was three and I couldn't have picked a better roommate. When we were little we had always talked about living together and here we are years later living together in our first apartment. I’m glad I can say that I get to live with my best friend and make all these memories. However when you are planning on leaving the nest whether it’s living on a college campus, living in an apartment with your best friend, boyfriend, girlfriend or even on your own, you don't really stop to think about all the baggage that comes along with it.

I know not everyone is brought up the same way or even privileged in the same ways but my mom always made sure that she had breakfast, lunch and dinner on the table for my brother and I. My mom did my laundry, did the housework and worked a job on top of that. At the time you take those little things for granted. I would come home from school or an after school sport and my laundry would be done and on my bed and my dinner would be made and on the table. As I got older I started to see more of what my mom did daily and I became grateful and helped out more but I still didn’t get the full effect until I was on my own.

This summer I work 40 hours a week at a campground, I house clean once a week, I babysit here and there and I play women’s league soccer on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This sounds like a pretty full summer schedule, but also tack on to this living on your own. I didn't really account for doing my own laundry, the dishes, meal prep three meals a day, keeping up with your own housework, groceries and then the bills on top of it. Living at home I never really worried about making sure the doors were locked when I left the house, the lights were off and the coffee pot was off in the morning. Now, living on my own, it’s my responsibility to remember those small things. Finally, at the end of the night when everything is done, you go to bed only to wake up and do it all over again. Only then did I really start to feel how my parents felt 24/7 365 days a year…that’s right, exhausted. Even though this sounds like a lot it keeps me busy and I am grateful for the opportunity to be living in my own place because it’s teaching me how to do things and be independent at a young age. I now see what parents and guardians do on the daily for us, and having kids to take care of on top of ALL of that is only that much more challenging.

Remember when your parents told you not to wish the time away because one day you’ll wake up and you’ll wonder where the time went? Well it’s true, so you should listen to them. Time really has flown and in the fall I will be going on my third year of college. I knew someday I would be on my own with a job and a place of my own and having all of the responsibilities that I have seen my parents have over the years, but I didn't think it would be this soon and I didn't think I would feel like an adult already. I am grateful for what my parents have taught me throughout my life so I know how to do it on my own, and the things I don't know how to do, well I guess that will come with time and experience. I can also say that I have the best roommate ever and we help each other out a lot. I couldn't do it without her either.

Even though sometimes it’s hard to say those four words, “I left the nest”, when you say it, say it with pride because you did it, you worked hard and you got yourself to that spot. I do miss my old home that I lived in with my family across the hall from my brother but it was time for me to leave the nest, and someday you’ll leave the nest too. It can be bittersweet but it’s a new chapter to your life story and it’s a positive chapter at that. So be proud to say “I left the nest.” but don't be too good to visit the old nest every now and then. All in all, I didn't think I would feel like an adult so soon. Time really does fly.