Leaving is Hard
Education

Leaving For College Was Hard, But Going Back After The First Summer Is Harder

Leaving behind my family, friends, and my home is one of the most difficult things ever.

151
Jenna Reed

When I graduated from high school last summer, I knew that leaving for college would be difficult after I'd been at home for my entire life.

Leaving the coworkers who became my friends, my mom, siblings, nieces and nephews, and both my grandmas made me incredibly sad, but it made me cherish the time I got to spend with them. It was a rollercoaster of a transition, not being able to see my mom everyday like I was used to, not even being super close to them, made it very hard. Getting a new job and not working with the people I was used to wasn't easy either.

Throughout the year that I was away at school, I couldn't wait to get home - back to my family, my work people, and just the atmosphere of my home. Before school ended, when I made the decision to transfer to another college, I was so incredibly excited, as I am still considering I move in in T-Minus 5 days from the day I'm writing this on August 17th. But, as it gets closer, I can't help but feel the same sadness I felt last summer, and it feels even greater now that I'll be farther away from the place I call home.

Today was my last day of work at the job I hold during the summer and during breaks from school, leaving my coworkers was harder than ever because the team I share the workplace with is a family in itself and I will miss them incredibly.

The thought of leaving my family makes me cry as I'm writing this article. My house is so cozy and my daily conversations with my mom are what I'll miss the most. I'll miss the passing by conversations with my sister and her boyfriend as they leave late at night for their third shift job. I'll miss the rare but appreciated snuggles that my cat gives out when he's feeling up to it.

I'm so incredibly excited to begin my new journey and I thought that because I did this last year, that it would be easier to leave this time around. But what I'm noticing is that it's even harder. For someone like me, in love with her family and the comfort of them, I'm sad to go. I'm sad to leave and I don't think it will ever get easier. Getting through will be half the battle, but I know I'll get through it, just as I did last year and will continue to do as I have to do it again, and again.