Leaving For College Amidst A Global Pandemic Is Scary, At Best

While most high school seniors shed multiple tears before heading off to the dorms for their first year of college, the class of 2020 is different.

6

Leaving to go off to college on your own is already quite scary. Living with a roommate for the first time, being on your own with no one to tell you what to do? For some that means freedom, and for others, it's absolutely terrifying. Getting adjusted to life on our own can be a difficult challenge within itself. Now add a global pandemic that's been going on for 4 months to the mix. Now not only are incoming college freshmen worried about making friends, doing well in school, or keeping in shape they're also worried about contracting this potentially deadly virus. Most of the people that have been severely affected by this virus are people with underlying health conditions and high-risk populations. While we know this to be true, it doesn't change the fact that it can still be detrimental to someone's health, even if they don't have underlying health conditions.

Most colleges have implemented a mask-wearing rule for public places and spots where social distancing is not applicable. While this is an important step towards ensuring the safety of their students it might not be enough. There are many colleges that have decided to end their semester at Thanksgiving, with no breaks in between. This way students are basically forced to stay on campus and they can control the outbreak if there ever was one, better.

Living on a college campus, or even off while still attending class on the campus can be scary because of potential exposure. College students have so much on their plate already, adding a global pandemic to their plate is just more added stress. We do however need to keep faith in the educators and board of our colleges, and the doctors and people in charge that they will do what is right for our health.