As I Leave My First Dorm

As I Leave My First Dorm

My heart breaks a little too much.

9
As I Leave My First Dorm
Kaci Bradshaw

I never thought I would be sad to move back home, I didn't think it would effect me as much as it is now. As I write this, I’m packing up knowing that I'm moving back home tomorrow and I will never again live in this room again.

This room has seen so many things. One of the first being the cheesy, unoriginal photo of me on move in day, sitting on this bed that I'm writing on now. It has been there as I cry on the phone. It was there as I facetimed friends for hours, studied (or attempted to), binge watched Gilmore Girls, and everything in between. It was home for these past months and I’m so thankful for it. These concrete walls became homey somehow and the million flights of stairs were all worth it (never thought I would say that). I wouldn’t have wanted to spend this year anywhere else.

I won’t miss the showers, but I’ll miss the conversations with my floormates through the curtain.

I won’t miss eating the dining hall food every night, but I’ll miss getting to eat with my best friends every night.

I won’t miss waking up early and getting breakfast, but I’ll miss starting my day with my friends.

I won’t miss going to class, but I’ll miss homework dates with my classmates.

I won’t have anyone next to me to talk to at night. There won’t be any activities to go to when I’m bored. I won’t get free pizza as often, or walk to my friends room when I just want to hangout.

All the things I complained about all year were worth it to be where I am right now. I’m glad that I’m sad to go because that means it was a year to remember.

College is so many things at once, but in the end it’s an unforgettable experience.

To any incoming freshmen, make the most out of it as soon as you get there. Make those friends on your floor, go to events, reach out to new people. It will be so worth the few uncomfortable moments because then you’ll have some new best friends.

I wasn’t expecting to be so sad, but right now, as I get ready to move out tomorrow, it’s hard for me to know that I’ll be leaving this amazing campus and these beautiful people. As great as it is to see my family and friends at home, it is the most bittersweet thing I have had to do. Looking around at these bare walls and suitcases that are full of all my belongings pulls at my heart quite a bit, I’ll truly miss this tiny little room. The room that was once so cold and lonely, will now always hold a small piece of my heart.

To all my friends at school, thank you for loving me, for dealing with my cackle and sassiness, for supporting my love for ice cream even if I didn’t eat dinner, and just being my friends. Thank you, I’ll miss you terribly, and I love you all.

To my college, thank you for being the name I proudly call my home away from home.