Let's Leave These Five Things Behind In 2018

Let's Leave These 5 Things Behind In 2018; It's Time To Make Some Changes In The New Year

Make ditching these five things part of your New Year's resolutions list.

49
Hannah Massen

New Year's is about more than sipping champagne in a sequin dress; it's about starting over, dreaming big, and wiping the slate clean. Whether you're a resolutions person or not, there's a sense of possibility that comes with a new calendar. For many, 2019 will be a fresh start. But for you to move forward, you need to let go of what's been holding you back. Here's a list of five things which should stay in 2018 to make way for personal growth.

1. Last year's drama

https://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/09/12/one-of-the-most-powerful-art-pieces-at-burning-man-this-year/

Whether the whole of 2018 was filled with ups and downs, or the year simply ended on a rough note, use the new year as an excuse to let go of old grudges and start fresh. Maybe that means reaching out to a friend to talk about the problem. Maybe that means making a silent pact with yourself to forgive, even if you can't forget. Whatever the case, unpack that baggage before it starts weighing you down for a second year.

2. Jealousy

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/eye-color-green.htm

Let's be honest: we've all been there. I find that jealousy starts with "I wish." Sometimes I think, "I wish I was as ___ as her," or "I wish I could do that, too." Instead, try being as happy for the other person's success as you would be for your own, and use them as a resource and role model if they inspire you to change. In 2019, let's turn "I wish" into "I am" or "I will be." It's time to stop the comparisons and appreciate ourselves a little more.

3. FOMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrC_MSG9zSU

FOMO, or "fear of missing out," is more than just a buzzword, but seems to be a real concern for many college students. As if academic, extracurricular, or professional anxiety isn't enough for these students, they often believe they're missing something fun or important if they spend a night in. However, if your days are spent running between classes and meetings, then you force yourself to go out at night, you may be at risk for burnout or exhaustion. Let's leave FOMO in 2018 and make self care a priority in the new year. Your body and mind will thank you.

4. Screen-addiction

http://waytooindie.com/news/texting-dramatized-in-the-men-women-children-trailer/

Spending time "unplugged" is gracing millions of New Year's resolutions lists for a reason. In the digital age, it's more of a struggle to spend time away from technology than it is with it. Although there's nothing wrong with a little Netflix or texting your friends, all good things should be used in moderation. Binge-watching or spending hours on social media detracts from the time you could be spending with the friends you see on screen, crossing items off you to-do list, or squeezing in some time alone. This year, text your friends to invite them out, then let go of the phone while you're with them. Who knows? You might actually like it.

5. Regret

https://athleticcourage.com/tribulations-expose-the-real-you/

You know that saying, "Don't regret anything, because at the time, it was exactly what you wanted?" Think back to the moment you regret. Did you say something hurtful, or nothing at all? Did you make the wrong choice because it felt right at the time, or did you make it to appease someone else? Did you give up? Did you hold on for too long? Either way, you made your decision in the moment, and now you have a choice: your thoughts can linger in 2018, wishing you had done something different, or you can look to 2019 as a chance to start anew. Look for lessons that experience taught you, and use them to make better choices in the future.