Learning To Let Go

Learning To Let Go

Unclench your fists and lift your empty hands to God.

11
Learning To Let Go
Alyssa Freiner

2016 was one crazy year in my life. I don’t think I’ve ever been stretched as much as I was this past year, but I also saw the most personal growth. The growth that started in 2016 is definitely going to continue in 2017 though because I have a lot left to learn. But in the last two weeks, God has made it very clear to me what I need to do in 2017. This year will be one about letting go. Letting go of certain people, control, expectations, comfort, and other things that I’m sure I will discover as the year progresses. This is the key to living a joyful, God-honoring life and he will do big things once we are able to unclench our fists and lift our empty hands to Him.

People. 2016 brought a lot of people into my life. I made some of my best friends last year, gained a new aunt, found some amazing mentors, and bonded with strangers. But with all the great people that came into my life, I was forced to let go of some relationships as well. I was confronted with the harsh reality that some people are not meant to be in my life no matter how much I want them to be. But, letting go of these relationships lifted a huge weight off of my shoulders and strengthened my other, more important relationships.

In 2017, invest more of your time and energy in relationships that are going to bring you joy and make you a better person, and end relationships that are causing you stress or to stumble.

Control. I am a textbook control freak. I have never been a spontaneous, adventurous, risk-taker kind of person and never will be. I thrive on schedules, to-do lists, and writing in my planner. I not only love planning my week but also my future. But this past year, so many things occurred that were completely out of my control and I was terrified. No one teaches you how to cope with the sudden death of a sophomore in high school. No one prepares you to be betrayed by a friend. No one tells you someone will break your friend’s heart. But, without warning, these things happen. They happen to all of us and we’re simply left to face the consequences. I began to pray that God would help me become more trusting and that I would be able to give him control. But, a friend recently told me something that changed this prayer. She said, “You don’t have to give God control, because He’s been in control of your situation the whole time.”

So in 2017 make it your prayer that you would trust God’s control and allow Him to lead you.

Expectations. I am a perfectionist. I hate failing and do not settle for mediocrity. But, this past year, I was forced to reevaluate the expectations I had for myself. I expected to get A’s throughout high school; Calculus changed this. No matter how hard I worked or how much I studied, I could never get an A; but I survived. I still got into college and still got credit for the class. I also had to reevaluate my expectations for myself in both cheer and track. In cheer, I wanted to be the best flyer and tumbler; but this was not the case. In track, I wanted to be the best 400 and 800 runner and make it to state; none of these things happened. I had to accept the truth that I didn’t have to be the best in order to glorify God. I was able to do that simply by working hard and doing my best; even if my best wasn’t as good as someone else’s.

This year go easier on yourself and allow your best to be good enough.

Comfort. Starting college is probably one of the least comfortable experiences of my life. I was thrown into ice-cold waters and was expected to start swimming. Little did I know that this was only the first of many uncomfortable experiences. God would stretch me in ways I was not prepared for, but I am so thankful for discomfort. The discomfort forced me to trust God and find comfort in Him.

So in 2017, dive into discomfort. Pursue God with everything you have and become willing to abandon your comfort for the sake of His kingdom.