There's no sure guide to learning how to cook or being any good at it... but here are a few simple tips to help you along the way.

1. Start with breakfast, and cook up some confidence

Breakfast is easy. Build your confidence by making a bomb breakfast platter and decorating the plate with some fruit complemented by a nice glass of orange juice.

Tip: Don't turn the skillet up too high, bacon is so easy to burn.

2. Before heading to a superstore, stop at the dollar store for ingredients 

Beforehand, compile a list of ingredients that you'll need for said meal. Then stop at the dollar store. They have a lot of the same (small) ingredients that Walmart has, and it'll be quicker, cheaper, and less temping to spend money on things you don't especially need.

3. Visit websites like www.allrecipes.com

This website has multiple categories, detailed instructions, and everything else you need to make the perfect meal.

4. Set up a nice work space

Gather all the utensils you need before you start cooking, make sure you have a timer (my iPhone works great) and clean the kitchen before you start.

5. Don't be afraid to fail

I'm not a chief, and I burn food all the time... but the more I practice, the better I get. You feel prideful after you cook your first intricate meal and it's such an awesome feeling.

6. Add your own spices and personalize your recipes

Maybe you like hot and spicy, or maybe you like sweet and sour. Over time you'll acquire lots of random spices. Don't be afraid to experiment and add to what you're cooking.

7. Broaden your... culinary horizons 

Try out a little bit of everything. Chinese, Mexican, American, Greek, etc.

8. Turning the heat up doesn't always cook things faster — low and slow

Seventy-five percent of the time, if you turn your heat up too high you're just going to burn your food. So keep it at a low heat (unless high heat is required) and be patient.

9. Don't be conservative when it comes to butter

I mean obviously you can always have too much... but for the most part butter makes things better.

Have fun with it 

Invite friends over to try your meal, play some music, and maybe even drink a few beers. Cooking should be fun, not stressful!

At the end of the day, it's either a learning experience and a laugh or a good meal made by you! Cooking is cheaper, and can be healthier if you want it to be. So enjoy all the great foods and possibilities!