10 Things You'll Know Better About Your Roommate Than Their Parents Or Friends Know, Probably

Roommates are like siblings except you can get away from them during breaks.

99
Author's Photo

Roommates are the people who know the most about you, you'll learn a lot about them too...whether you like it or not. Some people decide to room with their best friends, and others decide to room with people they've never met before. That's what my roommate and I decided to be honest; we met at freshman orientation and figured we get along pretty well.

The idea of having a roommate is so strange, you are going to share a small space with them and eventually you will go through everything with them. Roommates can either become your best friend, or the two of you can remain complete strangers for as long as you share a space. Whether you and your roommate are close or not, you learn a lot about them when you live with them.

Here are some things you'll learn about your roommate

1. How they sleep

How they sleep can mean a lot of things if we're being honest. For example: My roommate Steph snores and sometimes moves violently in her sleep. It turns out that sometimes I talk in my sleep as well, I have scared my roommate with my spontaneous outbursts. There have been multiple occasions where I have told Steph to "Watch Out".

2. What kind of music they like

Lucky for me, Steph and I like a lot of the same music. So I can blast my music on my speakers, but I do have friends who can only enjoy their music through their headphones.

3. Their relationship with their parents

A couple of my friends have roommates who spend a lot of their time arguing with their parents on the phone. Steph and I have both met each others parents because they have visited us in the past. Both of us have long weekly talks with our parents or relatives to inform them on what's been happening.

4. Whether they're clean or messy

Steph and I are a good middle, we both have our moments when we are messy but we atleast clean up before it gets out of hand. We take turns taking out the trash, taking out the recycling, and turns vacuuming the space.

5. If they sleep in or stay up late

Early birds and night owls meet their match when it comes to college, because you could've been one in highschool and now be the opposite. I could easily go to sleep and be ready for school in Highschool, but now I can easily stay up into the A.M doing homework or talking with friends.

6. If they like to go out a lot

Who Needs Parties When There's IC AfterDark

author's photo

Now this one can be a little subjective when it comes to the person and what you define as a "out". My friends and I go out on the weekend and we sometimes stay up into the AM; sometimes their roommates aren't happy with them showing up late. It's funny because Steph and I encourage each other to go out more.

7. What shows they watch on Netflix

Movie Nights Happen A Lot

Author's photo

Steph loves Atypical, I already know. A new season came out and she was so excited about it. She loves to tell me about what happens in the episode she's watching, and she update me on what characters we like and which ones we don't.

8. What snacks they like to eat

Steph and I snack all the time. Snacking is one of my favorite hobbies. There are certain snacks Steph and I have stocked up in our room. We each have very specific food and drinks we enjoy.

9. Who they're friends with

Here Are Some Of Our Friends

author's gif

Steph and I are both a part of the same friend group; we mesh with the same people really well. We both do meet other people in college, but the friends that come around a lot know us both. It's more fun to learn about her friends from home, they know me by name just like a lot of the friends I facetime a lot know who Steph is.

10. Their major

This Is My Roommate Steph

author's photo

I didn't want to room with someone in my major because I thought that would make it difficult to coexist. I don't know if that idea is even remotely true, but either way Steph is an Occupational Therapy major. I have learned so much about how Health Science works and what classes they have to take. Steph complaining about studying for Chemistry is a daily occurence.

Now I know that everyone's roommate situation is going to be different and I get that, but I think there's no competition when it comes to me and Steph. We encourage each other, laugh at ourselves together, and we help each other with problems; I got lucky in the roommate department cause she always has my back.