Learning From The Past And Thanking The Present

It definitely wasn't a walk in the park

10
Anna Evenosky

If you asked me a year ago what my opinion was on guys, I probably would have responded with some sarcastic comment along the lines of "I'm turning lesbian", "I'll just settle as a 50 year old cat lady"; or I would have described them as assholes, "f**kboys", players, etc. I guess you can say I had a rough time full of lots of heartbreak that came with the tears, loss of appetite, and all that jazz.

It definitely wasn't a walk in the park, and I'm not one to point fingers at my ex's. Being in a relationship is something that requires trial and error. You learn what works and what doesn't, you learn what is appropriate and reasonable, but most of all you learn how to work with your partner. With that being said, I'm not going to sit here and tell you I never did anything wrong. But, I will say that I was thrown into situations that I didn't deserve to be in. I went through more than anyone ever should and the truth is it hurt like hell.

My situations forced me to cut people off and lose good friends of mine as well as important people in my life. I was thrown into a bad mental state and at times it felt as if I was living my worst nightmare. One thing for certain is with every relationship I learned something and with every heart break things got easier. It can be a tricky situation leaving someone you once loved or though you loved for that matter. Although, there is no better feeling then finally letting go of a toxic relationship. At the same time, sometimes two people are not meant to be together as anything more than friends and that is when things get even trickier. It means cutting ties yet still remaining in each others lives. I promise you as much as this seems like the impossible, you are able to do it if you want that person in your life badly enough. A breakup doesn't always mean you must loose a friendship.

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Everybody needs to go through heartbreak before they meet their prince. Those past relationships don't need to be viewed as mistakes but instead as "practice" for the "real thing". It's how you learn ad grow as a person.

To the girl who just had her heart broken, I promise you it is going to get easier and one day somebody is going to come along and makes all that heartbreak worth it. They are going to swoop you off your feet and treat you like a princess. It will get better no matter how bad things currently seem.

To the ex who broke my heart, thank you for showing me what I deserve and allowing me to learn from our relationship. I now know what doesn't work as well as what is appropriate in a relationship. I now know those little quirks of mine that I will either need to learn to adjust or warn my future boyfriend of. I don't miss you and no matter how good you see I'm doing I don't want the toxic relationship back, although I truly wish you the best. To the ex who is now my best friend thank you for not giving up on our friendship. It means the world to me and I couldn't be more thankful to have you in my life.

To my prince, thank you for being my rock, supporting me, making me laugh, giving me a shoulder to cry on, and being my best friend. I'm beyond thankful for you and I have no idea what I would do without you. You truly are the best thing that has ever happened to me. Thanks for proving to me that good guys really do exist and that there is truly someone out there for me. You're the best for putting up with me and loving me no matter what. I love you.