8 Things I Learned After I Started My Internship

College definitely did not prepare me for this.
230

Once you hit your college years, summer vacation is just a cover for the eventual internship you'll have to complete to look qualified in your field once you graduate. Getting that first taste of your future teaches you a lot of things that have nothing to do with the actual work you're being paid to do.

If you've done an internship during the summer, you'll definitely be able to relate to some of these things.

1. Lanyards are cool again.

This ID card hanging on this lanyard says that I have a job in my field and you can rip it off my neck the day I die.

2. Saying "good morning" to everyone you see is a really good way to procrastinate the first 30 minutes of your day.

Don't forget about Kathy from accounting. She always has snacks in her office and funny stories about her dogs. Excellent way to enjoy your coffee and avoid those 10 emails that came in overnight.

3. If you carry around a clipboard, you can get in pretty much anywhere.

As long as you can back it up with confidence, most people aren't going the question your "authority."

4. Business casual attire in the summer is the same as what a suburban mom would wear when taking her kids to a theme park.

A blouse + a knee-length skirt + clean sneakers are what I wear on the daily.

5. Making cold calls isn't that bad when it's your only option.

Besides, most people won't answer the phone if they don't recognize the number.

6. You will spend 0% of your time getting coffee for your boss.

The movies lied to us all. What you will be doing is the abridged version of their job and any other stuff that they don't feel like doing that can't be fucked up by someone who doesn't have a degree yet (you hope).

7. No one is perfect at their job, especially you.

If you learn this before you even start, your work life is going to be a hell of a lot easier. Mistakes and miscommunication happen all the time. Don't take it personally, but learn from it.

8. The field you want to work in is actually rewarding.

Internships are the best way to "test drive" your career post-graduation. If you don't like your internship there's a fair chance you won't find complete fulfillment in your future job. Better to learn now rather than later.

Good luck fellow interns!