10 Enlightenments I've Experienced In College, Though Not Necessarily From My Classes

These are just a small fraction of the lessons I've learned from college.

335

I'm almost done my final semester in college and there have been some things I've learned along my college career.

1. It's OK to miss your parents.

There's nothing wrong with calling your parents or wanting to go see them. Everyone gets homesick sometimes. I promise it's normal.

2. You'll meet some of your best friends in college.

Specifically, you'll meet some of your best friends your freshman year here. You'll meet a lot of new people but there's a select few who will stay with you throughout your years at college.

3. People will try to tear you down.

But you can't let them. You're stronger then you think. There are people in this world who just want to see others fail. Don't let them get to you. Keep your goals in mind.

4.There are some things that you can't control.

There are things in life that you have no say over. All you can do is go with the flow and get back on your path. Don't let the bad times get you down.

5. Don't date your friends.

It's not worth it. A maybe forever love is not worth throwing away a great friendship you have. Trust me, they'll leave and you'll lose your best friend.

6. It's OK to want alone time.

You don't have to say yes to everything. You're allowed to say no and take some time for yourself. In fact, I encourage it. Take some time to be alone. You'll thank me later.

7. Have a support system.

Don't think that you can handle everything by yourself. It's OK to talk to your friends about what's going on and how you're feeling. You need to talk it out sometimes. Don't push your friends away.

8. Don't come back with fewer people then you went out with.

The buddy system is important. Never go to a party and come back with someone missing from the group. There is an exception to this: A) they're staying with a significant other that lives at the house. Make sure you have everyone. Always count.

9. All-nighters are terrible for you.

I know you think you're getting more time in studying by pulling an all-nighter but you aren't. You're going to be exhausted the next day and not at all ready for what you were studying for. Set an alarm and go to sleep. Get up earlier the next day so you can eat something and study more.

10. This is college, there's no time for people who play games or try to deter you in some way.

Let's be honest, there's nothing worse than childish games from college students. There's no need to be rude or make fun of people. There's no need to try and make someone else fail. There's no need to play games when it comes to relationships. Act like adults. People aren't toys.