9 Things I Learned During My Freshman Year At Illinois State University

ISU may be a safety school, but it's still a great school.

422
9 Things  I Learned During My Freshman Year At Illinois State University
Illinois State University

Being a freshman in college is not easy by any means. You are pushed out of the nest and expected to soar to new heights academically and socially. After finishing my freshman year at Illinois State, I definitely learned a thing or two. Some of these things apply mainly to ISU students, but other concepts I'm sure reign true for other colleges as well.

1. Don't be scared to meet new people.

Honestly, no matter how shy you are, you really should be social your freshman year. Whether it is with classmates, floor mates, or just people you meet at a party, it will help. Some of my favorite friendships I have made so far at ISU are from people who I have met in class. Everyone needs someone to bond with over the highs and lows of college. Putting yourself out there really pays off!

2. Don't take the little things from home for granted.

There have been countless times where the average college freshman will be missing high school football games, home cooked meals, and being able to see their pets. For me, personally, I missed watching my sisters play hockey the most. It's not fun missing out on the amazing things you were able to experience every day, so savor it. Whether you aren't in college or you are visiting home, savor every moment of it.

3. Almost everyone has roommate problems.

Whether you are in a quad in Watterson Towers or a double in Tri-Towers, you will most likely have roommate problems. My situations were a little extreme, but knowing that other people were having issues helped, too. Looking back on it, I wish I would have roomed with someone I knew better, but bad roommates build character.

4. Joining Greek life was the best decision I made all year.

I was very against going through formal recruitment, but I am beyond grateful that I did. Joining a sorority really helped me adjust to life at ISU. I have met so many amazing people, have been able to obtain a leadership position, and I've learned countless things. It is a super fun and easy way to be involved on campus, too.

5. You will miss your parents immensely.

Not a day goes by where I do not talk to my parents, especially my mom. Although you are miles away, and some of us more than others, just know that they are always there even though they aren't able to physically be there. If you are having a rough day, call them. If you have a quick question, text them. If you are just laying around with nothing to do, FaceTime them. It will make everyone involved happier.

6. Tri has the best food.

I lived in Watterson my entire freshman year and the day I experienced the amazing food at Tri, I wished I could move. Don't get me wrong, the quesadillas at Watterson are spectacular, but I would take a patty melt at Tri over that any day. If you have the time, I would highly suggest hopping on the bus and eating there.

7. Don't visit home too much.

This may sound odd, but hear me out. As a freshman, you will miss home more than our basketball team won games last season, but give yourself time to adjust. It will be hard at times, I won't lie, but it makes a world of difference. Allowing yourself to be comfortable in your temporary home makes being away from home so much easier.

8. Work hard.

Obviously, every college student should do this, but you will be amazed how easy it is to get caught up in your developing social life instead of staying in and working on that big project. If you have a killer grade point average first semester, not only will our parents be super proud, but you will thank yourself in the long run. Having a bit of a safety net is nice because getting your grade point average up is a lot harder than letting it drop. You are paying to be here for a reason, so always remember that reason.

9. Everything will be ok.

You will get stressed, sad, lonely, and so on. It will happen. Especially around finals, you will experience a sense of stress that you probably never have before. There will be certain days where you will miss home more than most, and occasionally you will hit a bump in the road. It happens, but keep going. Everything will be fine. It's just college.