10 Things I Learned In My First Month Of College

College is what you make it. Its ok if your experience is different from others

452
author's photo

Some tips and tricks from what I have learned in my first thirty days here at Ithaca College

1. Theres no such thing as a normal college experience 

I went to a really small high school where there were never big parties. I always looked at movies of high school and thought I missed out on the "basic high school experience." When I got to college I was determined to do it the "normal" way. I went to a party my first weekend and realized that it wasn't for me. In the upcoming weeks I felt lost and alone. I didn't like partying but I wanted friends. Eventually I started to find my people and I'm still meeting new friends every day. The important thing to know is that theres no right or wrong way to do college. As long as you're having fun and staying up to date with your responsibilities you're doing great.

2. You're gonna have a lot more responsibilities in college 

Whether its club meetings, campus jobs, or sports practices college is busy. For me, it was a big adjustment to the workload in college. I had to learn how to study for a big exam. Another adjustment for me was learning to read a syllabus and keep track of my assignments. The most important lesson here is that if you're struggling ask for help. Whether its a friend, professor, or a advisor, they're usually super accommodating and ready to help. College is an adjustment don't give up if its hard at first. Keep a calendar and stay organized. Don't spread yourself too thin but still keep yourself busy.

3. Join clubs

My first week here I went to a lot of club meetings. Eventually I found what I was interested in and even made some friends in the clubs. They're a great way to meet people who share a common interest. Club meetings are a great way to unwind at night and are often really fun. Plus theres often snacks!

4. When it comes to friends quality over quantity 

Personal Photo

You don't need a huge group of friends to hang out with all the time. Obviously the more the merrier, but its better to have 2-3 close friends than a group of friends you can't trust. Always be willing to let your group grow, but remember its ok if you only have a few friends to start college off. Your group will grow and you'll find your people

5. Talk to people before and after class

Don't be afraid to ask someone in a class if they'd like to get lunch or coffee. Most people are looking for friends and will be so happy you reached out. Worse case scenario you got food or coffee best case scenario you have a new friend. Take small risks and put yourself out there.

6. Communicate with your roommate early on

Personal Photo

My roommate and I are on fairly different schedules. She's a music major who studies late at night, while I like to do my homework in the afternoon and go to sleep early. She also wakes up much earlier than me, but we've established respect and courtesy for each others sleeping habits. Living with a roommate is learning to get dressed with lights off sometimes, but its also coming home to a friend every night. If you can establish respect for each other you'll also be able to hang out and enjoy each others company. If you have small differences like when to turn the lights out, talk about it and respect each others needs. A roommate can be a friend who is there for the good and the bad. It takes a while to get used to someone else living with you and its also an amazing experience. As someone who grew up with a brother, I feel like I have the sister I always wanted.

7. FaceTime is a great way to keep in touch with both family and friends 

Being away from home is hard. When I first got here I missed my friends and family a lot. Snapchat and text are great, But the closest thing to being with my family for me, was facetime. Over the Jewish holidays I felt really upset not being with my family. They facetimed me with all my Grandparents and Cousins over and passed the phone around. It wasn't quite the same and my Mom's brisket doesn't transfer over facetime, but it is an awesome way to keep in touch with family and friends.

8.  Your friends social media versions of college are fake

When I first got here I would look at my friends instagrams and snapchats every weekend. They looked like they were having so much fun. I felt so jealous. Then I looked at my instagram, I had posted a picture with a friend before we went out. It looked like I was having the time of my life too and sometimes I was. Others I was on the phone with my Mom crying. Thats when my very wise older brother informed me that these people who posted pictures every weekend going to parties, had probably cried to their parents too. Social media presents our best lives. Don't compare how you really feel to the pictures you see online. I may be wrong, but I really believe that almost everyone has had a bad day where they wanted to go home since being here. Thats normal and totally ok, but it doesn't mean you should give up.

9. Find a good spot to study 

I personally love going to a place called the "Pub" on Sundays. Its quiet on the weekends and has a Starbucks! What more could I need? So every Sunday around noon I go get a coffee and get done most of my studying for the week. I read ahead in most of my classes so I'm prepared and then I have time for club meetings and just time to relax after class. Whether its for a Sunday study sesh or a daily study spot, find someplace you can work your best.

10. Its ok to mess up in the beginning 

We are all new and learning. Its ok if you get lost or get a bad grade on a first assignment. What matters is you learn for next time. Whether its saving a campus map to your phone or asking professor for clarification, learning what you did wrong is the first step to getting back on track. Mistakes are ok if you learn from them and try to do better in the future. We're all confused and adjusting. Just make sure to use available resources whether it be office hours, mental health services, or just asking a friend for support. We all make mistakes but its the comeback that matters.