What I Learned During My Fist Semester Of College

6
Lovin Louisiana

As I am wrapping up my first finals week, I can’t help but look back on this first semester. It was what I expected, but at the same time not at all. I made some great friends, joined several amazing organizations, and really got to experience Lafayette and being a Ragin’ Cajun. It was a semester of learning and eye-opening. Here are a couple things I picked up along the way.

If you’re living in the dorms I definitely recommend purchasing a shower wrap. The fire alarm will go off at the worst possible times. Thankfully, this did not happen to me, but I was prepared. It did wake me up several times, so you should also wear pajamas that you somewhat wouldn’t mind being seen in.

Umbrellas, rain jackets, and rain boots are a must if you live in Louisiana. The weather is so unpredictable and it is not fun walking to class in the rain.

When scheduling classes, have a map of the campus with you. Don’t make the mistake of only giving yourself ten minutes to get from one side of campus to the other. You’ll be thankful for this when you don’t have to jog to get from your 9am to your 10am every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Cafeteria food in college is way better than the cafeteria food in high school.

That being said, the freshman 15 is not a myth. Utilize your school’s gym/workout facilities.

Don’t be afraid to get involved. That’s one of the best way to meet people, especially if you join a club that deals with something that you’re interested in.

Take advantage of anything free. Free food, free t-shirts, free pens even! If you use the stuff, great. If not, it didn’t cost you anything and you can give it to someone else.

There is a lot of variety in college. There are a lot of different kinds of people. You’ll see some interesting outfits and hair. Try not to judge people by that stuff.

Coffee is a blessing. You may disagree with me and hate it right now, but you learn to love it. It becomes a necessity.

Get to know your professors. I was honestly scared about having to talk to any of my professors, but I shouldn’t have been. Talking to them really helps them get to know you and they can really help you if you don’t understand something or if you feel like you’re struggling. Also, the better they know you, the more inclined they may be to write you good letters of recommendation in the future, should you need them.

Finals week is as stressful as everyone makes it sound, but you can get through it!

It’s okay to try everything the first couple of weeks, but try to get into a routine of some kind. It helps bring a little balance to your life.

Go out and have fun with your friends. You’ll probably be taking your easiest courses your freshman year, so enjoy it.

Lastly, think positive. Whether it be for a test or for the semester in general, try to bring some positive vibes. I guarantee it will make a difference.