5 Lessons That Have Gotten Me Through 2 Years of College

"Fight for our dreams. Fight for our success. Fight for ourselves."

38
Chardonnay Wilson

As I write this, it's hard to believe that I have completed two years of college. It's been a rocky road to get to where I am now. But it is college, so of course it is going to be rough. I've learned a lot of lessons. These lessons have guided me as I find my way through this crazy, ever-changing world. But humans are lucky. We can adapt even if we do not want to. But sometimes we have to.

Lesson 1: Find your college family.

Surrounding yourself with people who share common goals is something that I have learned to be important. You don't want to be around people who keep you down or are focused on partying. No one wants to go through college alone. It's too taxing for most to. Don't get caught in the wrong crowd though.

Lesson 2: It's okay for you not to know what you want, but you do need to have a general idea.

It is just now my junior year. I have changed majors 3 times. I finally settled last year and knew what I wanted. And then the option of a minor came. I have since changed my minor 5 times (including once last night). Only you can determine what you want to do in life and what your dreams are. My advisor told me of a story of a student whose mom chose his major. He didn't even know what his major was. Don't be that kid. Follow your dreams.

Lesson 3: It's okay to fall sometimes. Just make sure you get back up.

College is tough. Some people run through it no problem; some people just walk through it no problem. And some seem to hit every hurdle thrown at them. I'm one who runs. But I hit the occasional hurdle, and when I hit it, I hit it hard. Once you hit a hurdle, it can be hard to get back up. Something I had to make myself learn is that everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has obstacles. But we can't let them stop us. We have to get back up and fight. Fight for our dreams. Fight for our success. Fight for ourselves.

Lesson 4: Remember what you are here for.

You came to college for a reason. Don't lose sight of it. Whether you came to college to become a teacher, a doctor, a weight trainer. You are here for a reason. Don't let others stop you. Don't let anything keep you from your success.

Lesson 5: Don't forget to have fun.

This is the most important lesson I've learned at college. We can get caught up in classes and studying and despising professors that we can forget to go have fun. College is just the start of a wonderful life on your own, so why not make the best of it?