Learn To Dance In The Rain

Learn To Dance In The Rain

No umbrellas necessary, just enjoy the rain

2023
Learn To Dance In The Rain
Grand

It has been said that life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain. Of course this storm has deeper meaning behind it, signifying that you’re going to be hit with some pretty difficult times in your life. Learning to dance in the rain just means that you shouldn’t dwell on those situations but embrace them. This is much easier said than done in most cases. However, this is not just going to be about the trials and tribulations of your life and learning to make the most of them. No, this is going to be about literally going out and learning to dance in the rain. Put your umbrellas away, you won't need them today.

It starts from a distance; you can see it miles away, the dark clouds swiftly moving. The mood shifts, not just the weather though, it’s everything. There’s an eerie peacefulness in the air and the trees, and then you can smell it. The ever familiar scent of rain that’s strong enough to let you know what is on its way but light enough that you appreciate it. Then the wind picks up, the calm is over. The trees start to bend and sway a twisted little dance in preparation for the storm that is coming, closer with each passing minute. But this time, instead of becoming dreary, appreciate it. Take in the now overpowering smell of rain and watch the trees dip and bow before you; it’s going to hit any minute now. Watch the clouds as they soar quickly your way, a thick indigo wave rushing towards you. If you listen closely, there’s a rumble of thunder. It’s faint but this is only the beginning, my friend. Everyone else is hanging their heads, despairingly, searching for the closest building to avoid the rain that is making its way towards you. Don’t follow them; we’re not to the best part yet. The first bolt of lightning strikes and breaks apart the dark clouds, just for a moment. Wait now; count out loud the seconds 1…2…3…4… until the thunder applauds the lightning for making its appearance. That’s when the rain hits. It pricks your skin, cold at first, but only for a moment. Then it’s a comfortable rush, almost like a mild shower, but so much more exhilarating. Tip your head back and take it in. You’re the only one out here now; everyone else has retreated back into a safer place. This is your time to dance. It’s awkward at first so follow the trees. Sway and bend, dip and bow, it is so much more satisfying than watching the droplets race down your window from inside your bedroom. It’s so freeing and refreshing. Soon, you’re not uncomfortable anymore. Your hair is drenched and your clothes are heavy but there’s something so promising about the way it makes you feel. Yes, lovely, you adore this rain and how childish you feel in it. For the first time in a long time you are playful and you are truly happy. The wind and the thunder play a melodious song behind you, the trees continue their wicked dance around you, the lightning is continuously making haunting appearances, and you are the center of it all. This storm won’t last forever, but you won’t forget this moment. The clouds refuse to slow down their journey and the rain begins to let up but that doesn’t stop the rush that has taken over your body. You are truly and incredibly happy.

Some people feel the rain while others just get wet. To you, this may just be about literally dancing in the rain or maybe not. Maybe to you this is a metaphor about how you should handle the difficult situations that life throws at you. Maybe it's neither of those and you just now understand the importance of enjoying the little things. Either way, I hope it means something to you and you embrace the storms -- literal or not -- that come your way.