Bill Withers' "Lean on Me" is a song everyone should hear.
Lifestyles

"Lean On Me" Is A Song Everyone Should Listen To At Least Once

In April of 1972, singer-songwriter Bill Withers released "Lean on Me" in his second album, Still Bill. Today, December of 2018, the honesty behind this song still deem true.

758
https://unsplash.com/photos/rK5pVY1Op5A

As a college student and a general member of today's society, I have found it is so important for people to be there for one another. Bill's words utter truths that everyone needs to hear.

"Sometimes in our lives, we all have pain/

We all have sorrow"

Everyone faces challenges throughout their lives. It is inevitable. No matter how serious or traumatic, we all have experiences that have been negative. Times where everything is seemingly falling apart and nothing is going right. We are not perfect, and our lives sure as hell aren't either.

"But if we are wise

We know that there's always tomorrow"

These challenges can seem like they will never go away. Yet the best we can do is understand how lucky we are to see the sun rise again. How grateful we should be that even with everything going wrong, we are still given the opportunity to keep going. To keep fighting the battle.

"Lean on me, when you're not strong

And I'll be your friend

I'll help you carry on

For it won't be long

'Til I'm gonna need

Somebody to lean on"

A lot of times, it is hard to show pain and admit to those around us, and to ourselves, that we need a hand, a shoulder to cry on. Being vulnerable isn't easy. Sometimes it may feel as though we are a burden but there is nothing wrong about needing help. It is okay to not be okay.

https://unsplash.com/photos/YtYNavix3pw

We also need to understand how important it is to be there for others. We have all been in a place where we've felt alone. Do you remember that feeling? Yeah, possibly the worst pain anyone can encounter. We have to power to never let someone feel that. Be there for people. Whether your family member or someone you've never talked to before, everyone can use a friend.

"Please swallow your pride

If you have things you need to borrow

For no one can fill those of your needs

That you won't let show"

Asking for help is not weakness. If you are struggling, talk to someone. Help cannot be given if you don't go out and look for it.

"You just call on me brother, when you need a hand

We all need somebody to lean on"

Show others that you will be there for them. Reach out your hand and offer to pick someone up who's fallen. Battles are not meant to be fought alone.

"I just might have a problem that you'll understand

We all need somebody to lean on"

Our struggles may be personal and unique, but that doesn't mean we can't find others who can relate to them. There are millions of people out there. Millions of people who have faced millions of challenges. Finding someone who can understand and relate to what you've been going through can give you hope. Knowing someone else has gotten through the wars you've been fighting with yourself can be that little bit of hope and strength you need to power through.

"If there is a load you have to bear

That you can't carry

I'm right up the road

I'll share your load"

https://unsplash.com/photos/VWOVLwQqK40

Wars are not meant to be fought alone. Don't think for a second that you have to take on life and all its battles alone.

And if you find someone struggling, help them. Life is a giant rock that rests on our shoulders. Expecting to carry that weight alone is nonsense.

Bill Withers did not write "Lean on Me" to be in Rolling Stones "500 Greatest Songs of All Time." He wrote it to emphasize that we all need a little help and that we also need to be there to give it. We are all here for each other. Be the hand someone is looking for and they will reach out they will do the same.