A Leader's Point of View: Kenshay Kerr

A Leader's Point of View: Kenshay Kerr

Learn more about the perspective of an experienced student leader.

18
A Leader's Point of View: Kenshay Kerr

I am starting a new series called "A Leader's Point of View" where I ask different student leaders about their lives and their experiences. This series of interviews is meant to give a little insight into the lives of some of the most amazing and hard working people I know. To start us off:

Give me a quick introduction about yourself and your previous leadership experience.

My name is Kenshay Kerr. I am a Penn State senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Human Resources Management. Throughout my time at Penn State, I have had worked very hard to be an excelling leader. I have been a Lion Ambassador during my 4 years as a student. I have also been President of the Sounds of Praise Gospel Choir for two years as well as the President of The Residence Hall Association. I have been a Resident Assistant for two years and I concluded my final year at Penn State as the President of The Student Government Association.

What does being a leader mean to you?

A leader is someone who motivates. A leader is a role model. A leader is someone that continues to strive for excellence and will be someone that is able to set the example for others.

Why does being a student leader matter?

A student leader is very important because it is the gateway to how you will excel outside of the student life. Being a student leader, I have been given access to many resources, connections, and opportunities while also enjoying myself. I will take what I learned as a student and use it in my career after I graduate.

What motivates you to be a student leader?

My motivation comes from different areas. I have a strong support system from my friends and family. With them, they motivate me to continue to strive for excellence. I do also have use a lot of self-motivation by setting up goals for myself and following them.

Do you have a favorite leadership quote?

My favorite leadership quote does not speak directly towards leadership but it is with these words that help me continue to be the leader that I am. “Today is a good day to have a GREAT day. To smile more, worry less, to be the very best version of YOU. To do more of what makes you happy EVERY DAY. To be positive and regret nothing. To be humble and work hard. Everyday may not be good but find something good in every day. Laugh. Love. Live. Follow your dreams. Believe in yourself. And remember to be awesome.” -Unknown

Do you have anyone who mentors/inspires you to be a better leader? (student or adult)

I do not have any specific mentors that I look toward. Instead, it is my friends and peers that inspire me to keep pushing myself by watching them excel in the achievements they have accomplished over my time in school.

What is the most difficult challenge you have faced as a student leader? How did you resolve this issue? What did you learn from this experience?

The most difficult challenge that I faced as a student leader was making time for myself. I always wanted to make sure that everyone was taken care of and I took care of myself last. To overcome this, I am making sure to set a few hours aside for myself everyday to make sure that I am giving myself enough time of self-care.

Thank you Kenshay for all your leadership and everything you have done for all of the students you have impacted, including myself.