Laugh In Painful Situations And Never Do Anything You Will Regret Later

This is the best advice I have ever heard.

70

One day in ninth grade, I decided to make a collection of all my favorite quotes. These quotes were taken from books, song lyrics, poems, cartoons, things famous people said, bible verses, and more. I printed out these quotes and filled my bedroom walls with them so I would be surrounded by them

To this day, I have over 20,000 words of encouragement collected. Needless to say, I love quotes and I love words. Out of all that, I have two quotes I think about and follow the most.

This first quote is by Bill Cosby, who said “You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can find humor in anything – even poverty - you can survive it.”

I found that quote back in 2009 searching for ways to be happier. I realized, after reading this quote, that laughing will improve myself and aimed to make people laugh more.

I still use this quote today. While waitressing, I try to make every table laugh in some way. When I find something funny online I share it with people I know are going through a rough time and need a pick-me-up.

I wish I could say that quote worked every time; it hasn’t.

I still have my off-days where I can’t seem to laugh. I sometimes send something funny to someone and accidentally make them even more mad or sad. I have tables while waitressing that are not happy with me making jokes with them instead of taking the job more seriously or leaving them alone.

The second quote is taken from a book series I read in middle school called The Christy Miller Series written by Robin Jones Gunn. It is about a 14-year-old girl who spends the summer with her aunt and uncle in California and meets a cute guy.

Early in the book, the girl says “... My parents made me promise I wouldn't do anything I'd regret later.” (Vol. 1 Summer Promise)

Whenever I have a big decision to think about, I go back to that quote and think about which decision I would least regret later.

Like the last quote, this reminder does not always work.

I have come across a few big decisions and chosen the wrong one. I have upset close friends when I should have kept my mouth shut. I have stayed home to write and study when I could have gone on great adventures with friends.

For the most part, though, this quote has saved me. I have backed out of situations I have a bad feeling about. I have said no to plans that will over-schedule me. I have limited myself on how much emotional/physical/mental damage I can take by choosing the path of least regret.

I hope that, in the future, I still hold onto these quotes and remind myself to laugh in painful situations and not do anything I will regret.