Why Laughing At Yourself Is Beneficial For You And Those Around
Lifestyles

Why Feel Embarrassed When You Can Take A Chill Pill And Laugh At Yourself Instead?

It feels so much better than being embarrassed by the person you used to be.

146
Photo by Helena Lopes from Pexels

Lately, I've been on a bit of an Odyssey.

(Pun COMPLETELY intended.)

It all started when my mom and I cleaned out a closet together. As she dutifully sorted through a mess of things and I helped by supervising, she pulled out a very old notebook from when I was a small child. I took it, not thinking it would hold anything very interesting. But upon reading its contents, I was quite happily proven wrong.

The notebook held several stories I had written when I was eight years old.

And they were all gold.

I really don't want to understate how amazing these stories were from a comedy standpoint. As I read them aloud, recording them for my friends to enjoy, I genuinely couldn't stop laughing. The entire plot of one story revolved around our substitute teacher being a witch that I melted to death with maple syrup. That's not even getting into the fanfiction that I thought was revolutionary at the time. I was positively reduced to stitches and I loved every second of it.

This led me to unearth more old stories of mine. While I've thrown out a lot of my old writing for the sake of space, there are many things I wrote in middle school and beyond that I found and glanced through again. The older the story was, the harder I laughed at it, until I noticed the strangest thing happening.

As the quality of my stories improved overall, I laughed less at the silly narrative twists and felt myself getting embarrassed by them.

At first, it seemed like the normal reaction to have. Eight-year-olds don't have the sort of social awareness and expertise that fifteen-year-olds have, so of course, I should hold my fifteen-year-old self to a higher standard. I felt as though it was OK to question my state of mind at that age and judge myself like I was an adult that should have known better.

Being embarrassed just seemed to make sense.

Then, as I thought about it a little more, I started to realize that it was a pride issue.

The stories I wrote four years ago are objectively hilarious and stupid, but admitting that is so difficult to do when I feel like they reflect on my current abilities.

They were written so recently that I somehow worry they'll be mistaken for what I'm capable of doing today, which is ridiculous. Four years can do so much to change a person, especially if they've spent that entire time practicing and improving. Hell, I've written things months apart that show a drastic increase in quality. I'm making progress all the time.

When you're always learning and growing, it can be really easy to outgrow your old-self before it's even fully registered in your mind. You may not think it's necessary, but sometimes I think it does us all some good to remember, "Hey, I'm not that person anymore. I do different things now, and that's OK."

The things I used to do were sort of silly. It's OK to laugh about it. Laughing about it feels better than being embarrassed.