'Vine' Is The Latin Of Our Generation, Don't Argue With Me
Social Media

To Anyone Who Didn't Know, 'Vine' Is The Latin Of Our Generation, Don't Argue With Me

To the lovers and haters of both Vine, languages, and history.

69

Latin is the root and holy basis for Western language.

Almost every word has a Latin root, prefix, suffix, or connotation. Latin was a big deal for Ancient Rome. It was the language they spoke all day every day. But now? Latin is a dead language.

I don't know who canceled Latin, but for Latin to have such an influence on all the other Western Languages? Legendary.

Latin was like that one really trendy, popular person in high school who everyone copied their style and sort of put their own twist on it, but then they graduated and Latin-person was never really seen again. The influence of their style still shows prominent as the traditions and trends trickled through the high school, but Latin-person never really, truly came back.

My point is that Latin is a dead language.

Nevertheless, it still is the root of all western and Romance languages. For example, if a word has the letters "Mal" in it, one could assume the word in a whole is negative. Malpractice, abnormality, Malfunction, and even the Spanish word "Mal" translates to "bad." Latin gives us a pretty good guess at what a word could mean.

That is, if you KNOW latin, or at least a few of the roots.

And that is why adults are so frustrated with their kids making random vine references that only they and their age group can understand.

OK, yes, this took a complete 180 and flipped upside down, but stay with it.

Vine was a reigning superpower of positivity and iconic content for five strong years until it came to its abrupt demise for somewhat… unclear reasons.

Vine is the equivalent of Latin to the Roman Empire.

Change my mind. Meanwhile, I will continue to press my point.

Vine was occupied and dominated enough with millions of users during its prime that its own, as well as global culture and language, became an ever-changing and evolving living thing. Internationally, users were able to contribute their own culture, skits, jokes, and scenes in the form of a six-second clip, allowing the observers of Vine to not only create their own content but to enjoy hundreds of other uploads a day.

Several vines became famous and became a symbol, so to speak, of that particular energy or mood.

Others achieved the same fame, yet, made no sense whatsoever. An intriguing enigma of millennial and Generation Z lingo.

An interesting argument posed is this: the modern public may have enjoyed Vines more than the Romans fancied their Latin. (I cannot accurately vouch for the integrity of this statement for I do not have any contacts who lived in Ancient Rome that can give a primary account of how much on a scale of 1-10 that they did indeed, love their language).

To respond to questions, react to an event, or even to muse to one's self, Vines became memorized and even recited to others, much like myths and legends of the Roman gods and tales of battle. The passing down of epics, fables, and stories, yet another similarity to the very roots of Latin.

It unintentionally became parallel to a secret code.

For responding to a field of geese honking may entail from the appropriate viewer: "look at all those chickens," when, in fact, the entirety of the present party is aware that chickens are the incorrect variation of the avian taxonomy. Another example includes hollering the newly dubbed interjection "yeet," when throwing an object, particularly a container emptied of its contents into a bustling crowd of oblivious citizens.

Only two of the millions of examples, those who have seen and understood the vine references just may know exactly what vines I was talking about. However, for those who did not have an instinctive recognition and replay of the six-second clips in their minds:

You are the equivalent of those who do not know Latin and are trying to pick apart a word to try and figure out what it means, knowing absolutely no root words at all.

However, both the light and dark side of this issue is that Vine is dead, and only its spirit lives on.

However, it is the people's choice that Vine lives on. Although almost all precious content was lost in the "siege," a few holy protectors managed to salvage and compile the internet's most cherished segments into hours worth of treasure on YouTube.

Even though Latin is dead, it still lives on through its translators and influences it has had on the Western World. The people choose to preserve it and teach it in schools, fully aware that even with a Hail Mary, Latin will not make its big comeback. The people who speak Latin now never got the chance to live in the world where it was as known and spoken as well as any language today, and that is what the younger generation arising is experiencing.

Through the compilations, young adolescents who did not even have a phone when the app still existed are just as fluent in Vines as the people who had had their very own accounts. The content was so spectacularly simple and universally relatable that no matter what the time period, anyone could enjoy them.

One must be in the mindset to enjoy the nonsense that makes Vines so special. Latin, in contrast, takes years to master, appreciate, and understand.

In this day and age, where people universally speak Vine and Latin is an intellectual's playground, what will remain in these generations' minds?

Not that it can't be both, but definitely a nonexistent brawl to contemplate. If Vine were still with us (in body as well as spirit) that would have been a fantastic skit for a six-second video.

In a world where it is yeet or be yeeted, Latin and Vine must not fall to their knees in a world that seeks to both destroy and preserve them.