1. Get up and move around. You are more likely to retain material if you get up and move around -- for a walk or even a trip to the cafeteria -- for 10 minutes every hour. 

2. Switch study spots. Study in the library one day and in a coffee shop, the next. Your brain will associate the new spaces with new memories, making your studying more effective. 

3. Quiz yourself. You can only read your notes so many times; after a while you are not going to retain any more information. It is important to make notecards, or take practice quizzes, to not only change your studying habits, but allow your brain to prepare for what the test will really be like. 

4. Write out notes. Research has found you are more likely to retain information if you write it out by hand. So if you type your notes, try writing important information out in a study guide to help you retain it better. 

5. Nap. If you feel tired, that is for a reason. Your brain cannot properly function and create new memories if it is sleep deprived. This is why experts say to take a 20 to 45 minute nap to feel rejuvenated. 

6. Cram before bed. Contrary to popular belief, it is beneficial to go through your study material once more before bed. Your body uses sleep to strengthen new memories. Therefore, it is likely this tactic will help you retain information better.    

7. Put your phone away. This distracting device is only hindering your studying. It is likely you are thinking more about the people you are texting, or the next chance you get to play Trivia Crack, if you have your phone within eyesight. Take two hours of studying, phone-free, and then reward yourself with 10 minutes on Facebook if you truly feel it necessary.