A Glimpse Into The Largest Annual Gathering of Twins

Located in Twinsburg, Ohio! How perfect!

31
Carolyn Barrington

For the past 7 summers, it has become an annual tradition for my family to visit "The Largest Annual Gathering of Twins" in a city I've come to cherish so deeply, also known as Twinsburg, Ohio. The long-awaited Twinsdays Festival is always held on the first full weekend of August. This weekend, which tends to draw 2000+ sets of twins every year is without exception one of my favorites of the year, and by the end of this article, you'll understand why we simply can't pass up the opportunity to make the drive up at the end of every summer.

1. The Themes

Year after year, Twinsdays releases a unique theme

2. Contests

The absolute first question that I am asked when I introduce myself as a twin is "are you and your brother much alike?" or maybe "do you look very similar?" Well, here at Twinsdays, we like to highlight particular sets of twins that can be considered the "most alike" or "least alike" at the festival. It's pretty much completely based off of looks, but sometimes contestants have to be asked questions about themselves and their sibling because it can be just. that. hard. to differentiate between the two. Contest groups are always split on age level and gender based on how heavy participation is in various age groups.

3. Competitions

5k, cornhole, volleyball

4. Seemingly ENDLESS Opportunities To Win Prizes

At the kickoff of Twinsdays every year (the Friday night cookout), there is always a HUGE raffle of all sorts of goodies! Being located in Ohio, there doooessss seem to be a bit of a theme when it comes to sports teams, but besides that, there's something for everyone. Not only that, but for the rest of the weekend there are bingo games, company-sponsored giveaways, and studies that are practically DYING to get their hands on twins (especially identical) that will reward you for your time.

5. The "Fair"

Ah, the food trucks. Whenever we go, I march full steam ahead to my favorite polish pierogi truck, but I can't say that the philly cheesesteak, lemonade, bbq, and ice cream stands don't always call my name. Not only can you find an endless array of choices, but you also have the luxury of listening to great live music in the glorious shade, a truly unifying experience.

6. Performances

talent show, local bands

7. The Royal Court

The Twinsdays Royal Court is a annually selected group of 5 sets of twins, traditionally made up of a set of Queens, Kings, Princes, Princesses, as well as a set of Grand Marshals. They are chosen each year through an application process based on their bonds, love of Twinsdays, role in their community, and I'm sure COUNTLESS more aspects. The Royal Court holds a special place in my heart as two summers ago, my twin brother and I shared the privilege of representing Twinsdays as Prince and Princess. We cherish our "Past Royal Court" pins and look forward to wearing them at each festival. Every year, the new Royal Court is crowned at the Friday night cookout, but can later be found participating in the Saturday "Double Take" Parade and many times thorughout the weekend all together for photo ops!

8. The BUTTONS

One of my absolute FAVORITE little idiosyncrasies of the festival is the annual sale of matching photo buttons, and not even considering the fact that they're the cutest things ever, they warm my heart immensely because of the kind cause the proceeds go towards. Named in honor of a set of twins that always went above and beyond in bringing twins together and mkaing everyone at Twinsdays feel welcome, "The Reauboys Fund" raises money through the sale of these buttons (as well as magnets and keychains) to help sets of twins who are experiencing financial hardship and have never been able to attend a festival be able to make come and experience all of the joys of Twinsdays.

9. Twin Pops!!

And finally, everyone's favorite: the popsicles. With TwinsDays always held in the oftentimes sweltering heat of August, the refreshing and ever-so-satisfying Twin Pops are simply an integral part of the festival experience.

Even if you're not a twin, there are so many opportunities and activities within the festival to make this weekend one to remember (and if you are a twin, you have no excuse to not stop by at least once!). "How can all of this be taking place in one (way too short) weekend?," you might ask? Well, I guess you're just going to have to come out and see. :)