Langston University Journal

Langston University Journal

Classroom Advice

14
Langston University Journal
Hackwith design house

So it is around that time for students to get ready to go back to school. I want to narrow down a talk with Langston University students, primarily the incoming Freshmen this school year. For your first day in college course classes, all you'll really need is a journal and pencil or pen. I do not advise you to get your class books just yet. In most classes your professor will be discussing their syllabus and how the year will go. Make sure you ask many questions, including if you'll need a book for the class or not. Books are expensive so make sure you use any sources you can, whether you find someone with the book or locate your book in the library.

You may come across some classes with professors who have an accent. You just have to bare with that because half of our professors have some sort of accent. If you really think you'd have trouble with that professor, then pay attention to when their office hours are and take a visit. Our teachers are always going to have their door open during their office hours so take advantage of that. When you go to class, please don't go when there are only ten minutes left. It doesn't make sense coming that late. Make the time useful, I mean that's what you're paying for right? So don't go to class 40 minutes late. If it gets that late, just don't go at all. You missed the entire lesson anyway so just email your professor or go by their office and discuss what you missed.

If you are a person that is punctual going to class and you realize your professor is not there, then here's a little secret. If the professor is more than 10 to 15 minutes late, you're allowed to leave the classroom. If you're in the general courses, such as history, English, biology or math, then just be prepared for the class to be packed. Come promptly to class or ask someone to save you a seat otherwise because otherwise, you won't have a seat and will have to take a walk back to your dorm. The size of that class probably won't decrease until a few weeks have passed, so make sure you get there early and get a seat.

You'll come across those professors who are dragging, but just make sure you're not that student that is sleeping in class. If that's you, then have a partner that's taking notes, too. The class will go on with or without you. Don't make sleeping a habit in those types of classes because quizzes will hit you by surprise every time. Fortunately, if the whole class is not hardly participating, the teacher may just release the class.

Do not skip class just because you didn't finish an assignment because it'll still be late. This isn't high school where you'll just get a few points off if you turn it in late. Half the time, the teacher will just give you a zero, but depending on the teacher you may be able to work something out. Also, most assignments are required to be typed and printed, so get ready to spend some time in labs or in the library. You can save yourself that hassle by coming to college with your own computer and printer. There's always a roll sheet that goes around at the beginning of class. Don't leave five seconds after signing the roll. Once again, you are only hurting yourself. Remember this as well! Destination: graduation