Lament Of An Unemployed College Student

Lament Of An Unemployed College Student

Everyone chant with me: minimum wage is better than dying at a young age! ....sorta!

11
Lament Of An Unemployed College Student
WNYC

You guys, I have run out of chill. There is NO CHILL going on here.

What is wrong with me? Why do every single one of my friends have jobs and I don't? I'm a child genius with good manners, punctuality, respect, and I'm fast to learn and adapt. I dress well and present myself appropriately and professionally. My resume looks gorgeous for a 17-year-old. What the heck?

Just last week I went on a series of interviews for a job at Chipotle. That's right, Chipotle. Three interviews. That's right, THREE, for a job rolling burritos at a fake Mexican restaurant for $10 an hour. All three of them, the managers loved me, the crew loved me, and I was so confident in getting this job since the chain hires young people and I left such a good impression on people. They said they would call me Monday. I waited. No call. Tuesday, I waited. No call. So I called myself, only to be told they filled the position with someone else. WHAT? WHAT THE HECK???? I was everything they wanted and more! I'm not just delusional about my strengths and talents; I will admit I'm quite narcissistic and vain, but I'm aware of what I am and am not.

Imagine me, the perfect job applicant: young, easy on the eyes, good at following directions, literally willing to do anything for money (and to the people who will say, "haha, well what about prostitution or porn?" I HAVEN'T RULED THAT ONE OUT EITHER), for God's sake, you could pay me $5 an hour and I'd be happy. What the heck is wrong with me?

"You just gotta keep trying, dude." How? I've done everything. I've gone to a temporary staffing agency, I've applied to every entry-level job in existence, I signed up on C2C, a website for young people looking for a job, I literally have walked around strip malls and shopping centers just asking stores if they were hiring. I don't get it.

I might as well stand outside with a cardboard sign saying "Hire me," it would probably be more effective.

One time I actually did post an ad on Craigslist saying I was willing to do basically anything for money (I specified what I would not do), and only one legitimate company contacted me. It was Hooters. I still wear training bras, and they told me they, "didn't care," and, "as long as you're willing to dress in skimpy attire, we'll hire you."
I know I said I'd be willing to do anything for money, but I preferably do not want it to come down to purely my looks and exploitation of my body. HOWEVER, if I'll get money, I'll do it. It's just sad that that's all I amount to. Nobody cares about your intelligence, nobody cares about your education, nobody cares about your achievements. They care if you can fit "job experience" on a cookie-cutter resume and blindly follow like a sheep.

"It's because your schedule is too complicated." Oh, sorry I'm in school to better myself? Sorry I don't want to work at minimum wage for the rest of my life? Other people in school have no problem finding part-time jobs that work with their schedule. I was able to find a job at school, although it was really dreadful. I worked 6 hours a week as a telemarketer. I got a $10 Target gift card at the end of the semester for getting the most credit card donations, but none of this was worth it. At all. I honestly would rather work in the cafeteria, which is notorious for being the worst job on campus. I need more hours. I don't care about the salary or wages or benefits or whatever. I. Just. Need. Money. That's the bottom line. I need money so I can pay for gas so I can drive myself to school and back, I don't care what it takes to get it. Why is that so hard for employers to understand?

Young adults can't get jobs without job experience, and can't get job experience without jobs. Take a chance. We're capable of a lot more than you think.