A Trip to the Lake with 10-Year-Old Me

A Trip to the Lake with 10-Year-Old Me

To the kids who look forward to being at the lake the most, let me share my experiences with you.

486

Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day weekend are quite the holidays in the summer. My family goes to my aunt's lakehouse every year. Growing up, I had become a pure lake baby. I loved tubing, fishing, boating, and riding golf carts. I could always bring a plus one with me every time we went to Tuggle's. That weekend we would be on the lookout for hot, way out of our league, lake boys. This was me, a 10-year-old girl who was striving to impress 18, 19, 20-year-old boys. I clearly had no idea what I was doing. Just to inform you, we would try to tread behind them on our golf cart while they were on four-wheelers. And when they'd turn around to look at us, we dreamed that they would drool over our gorgeous features.

Who does that?

This was the same time I would pray every night for the Jonas Brothers to become my actual blood siblings. The lake made me feel empowered. I felt older when I drank a grape crush out of a glass bottle as if it was a Corona Lite with a lemon in it like my mother drinks. I would feel competitive when I would go fishing with my dad, not to mention that I would have a little photoshoot every time I would catch one. I would feel super attractive when I had my black and white striped, or cheetah rainbow bathing suit on (it was a bikini). I was ten, what was I doing with my life? Don't even get me started about the fedora. Could this be any more embarrassing? To this day I envy my ten-year-old self, I was a skinny queen who had very few things that stressed her out and I was so entertained that I wasn't even worried about what other people thought, or how much I ate, or if I needed money to buy stuff. But I am sure that I am the same Lake baby that I was 7 years ago. Guess we will just have to wait and see on this memorial day weekend to find out if the inner little girl in me will come out...