Lady Gaga Honors Her Late Aunt With Rock-Pop Album 'Joanne'

"I might not be flawless, but I've got a diamond heart."

32
ABC News

After not releasing a solo album for nearly 3 years, Lady Gaga makes her long-awaited comeback with the October 21, 2016 release of Joanne. Joanne, described as Gaga’s most intimate album yet, is named after her late aunt Joanne who was her father’s sister. Without further ado, here’s my review on Lady Gaga’s Joanne.

1. Diamond Heart

“Good thing I know what I’m worth. Want a good thing? Put the money down first. Better get a good look baby, cause soon I’m breaking out of here.”

This song is one of my favorites off of the record. It’s not something you’d traditionally expect from Gaga, but I still love it. In the chorus, she belts,“I’m not flawless, but I’ve got a diamond heart”, a message that really resonates me.

2. A-YO

“I can’t wait to smoke them all, whole pack like Marlboro.”

Now, this is a song that not many people liked, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has a country twist, something fans of Gaga weren’t expecting to see from her. The lyrics are sassy, and the chorus is catchy. It’s a song that just makes you want to dance.

3. Joanne

“I’ll still love you even if I can’t see you anymore, can’t wait to see you soar.”

Being the title track of the album named after her late aunt, you’d expect this song to be emotional, and it is. “Take my hand, stay Joanne. Heaven’s not ready for you. Every part of my aching heart needs you more than the angels do”, Gaga sings. This song is sure to make you misty-eyed, especially if you’ve ever felt the pain of losing someone close to you.

4. John Wayne

“Every John is just the same, I’m sick of their city games. I crave a real wild man, I’m strung out on John Wayne.”

Well, this song is a definite mood-shifter following "Joanne". “John Wayne” is another one of my favorites on the record. It's another fun, upbeat record from Gaga with obvious country and rock influences.

5. Dancin’ In Circles

“Tap down those boots while I beat around, let’s funk downtown.”

This song is definitely the most risqué on the album. To me, it is the lyrical sister to her song “So Happy I Could Die” from her 2009 album The Fame Monster.

6. Perfect Illusion

“Now that I’m waking up, I still feel the blow, but at least now I know it wasn’t love…”

Acting as the lead single, this is a song people either love or hate. I, personally, love it. Gaga sings about being in love with someone and it being so great, then realizing it was too good to be true. “It wasn’t love, it was a perfect illusion mistaken for love” she sings in the chorus. It’s super upbeat and for sure a song that’ll get you hyped.

7. Million Reasons

“When I bow down to pray, I try to make the worst seem better. Lord show me the way to cut through all of this worn out leather.”

Another song from Joanne that never ceases to make me emotional. Peaking at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100, “Million Reasons” is another one of Gaga’s beautiful ballads. The song is about being with someone and having a million reasons to leave them, but only needing one good one to stay. The song is truly powerful, and Gaga’s vocal ability really shines on this one.

8. Sinner’s Prayer

“Hear my sinner’s prayer, I am what I am. And I don’t wanna break the heart of any other man but you.”

I like this song, but it’s not really memorable for me. It’s not a song that sticks out from the rest of the album; it kind of just blends in.

9. Come To Mama

“Everybody’s gotta love each other. Stop throwing stones at your sisters and your brothers.”

Similar in context (though not in sound) to “Born This Way”, Gaga sings of accepting and loving one another, cause love is all we’ve got. This is a great song with a great message that’s especially relevant considering what’s been going on in the world.

10. Hey Girl (feat. Florence Welch)

“Hey girl, hey girl. We can make it easy if we lift each other. Hey girl, hey girl. We don't have to keep on one-in’ up another.”

Sorry, but whenever I listen to this song I can’t help but think of the Ryan Gosling “hey girl” meme:

But in all seriousness, Gaga and Florence Welch coming together for a song is like a dream come true. Their voices compliment one another’s beautifully, and this song also contains a good message. It’s about how women should stick together, rather than tearing each other down, which is a message we can all take something from.

11. Angel Down

“Shots were fired on the street by the church where we used to meet. Angel down, angel down. Why do people just stand around?”

Written about the late Trayvon Martin, “Angel Down” is truly a masterpiece. “I was overwhelmed by the fact that people just stood around and didn’t do anything about it and that the justice system continues to over and over again not seek justice for these families,” said Gaga in an interview with Beats 1’s Zane Lowe. If you don’t plan on listening to her whole album, at least listen to this one song.

12. Grigio Girls

“Sisters never pack up, we always run back, love.”

Another song with a very personal link to Gaga, “Grigio Girls” was written about her longtime friend Sonja, who was diagnosed with cancer. “…it’s about how me and all of our girlfriends would get together and cry without her when she’s not around, because we love her so much. We just want to be strong with her,” said Gaga. The song itself is pretty, as are the lyrics.

13. Just Another Day

“We both know I could learn a thing or two about behaving, but I love you.”

This song immediately caught my eye while I was listening to Joanne for the first time. It has a groovy kind of feel to it, which I enjoy. Gaga said the song was influenced by The Beatles and David Bowie, which you can definitely hear in the sound.