Lack of Sportsmanship

Lack of Sportsmanship

The emergence of disrespect and hatred is evident among the sports community, showing a need for reform in sports culture

492
Lack of Sportsmanship
Washtimes

In the NFL, the Cowboys are currently one of the best, if not the best, teams in the 2016 regular season. In the NBA, the Golden State Warriors are currently one of the best, if not the best, teams in the 2016 regular season.

What’s the common factor between these two teams? Currently, it seems as though they’re both probably the most hated professional teams in the nation. There seems to be a trend among America during sports seasons to develop a great deal of hatred for the best teams. The case was similar for the Miami Heat, the Los Angeles Lakers, the Seattle Seahawks, and the New England Patriots over the past few years.

Fans for these teams are bandwagoners. When these teams win, they are incredibly lucky, or perhaps the game is rigged. There is always something about every great professional sports team in the US that creates a hatred among sports fans across the whole world.

Golden State is “stacked”, while Dallas is “overhyped” this season. With the New England Patriots, we heard about “cheating” and with the Seattle Seahawks we heard that they were “outspoken” and “lucky”. With the Lakers when they had won back-to-back NBA championships, we heard “Kobe was carried” or anything else against Kobe Bryant. With the Miami Heat when LeBron James played a few years ago, they were, like Golden State, “stacked”.

As valid as some hatred by some fans may be in some scenarios, it seems quite disturbing that there is always a sizable portion of the sports fans population that holds contempt against the best teams in a sport during certain times. Eventually, after a long period of time passes, fans seem to look back at these teams and appreciate them much more.

For this reason, there must be an advocated change from athletes, media, and any other sports outlet that promotes any hatred. This trend of hatred may also be the root to the disrespect among many teams, many players, and many athletes in general. It feels like it is rare to hear about a professional athlete’s professionalism or sportsmanship nowadays. In many cases, it is very present, without a doubt. However, there are just as many cases where it is lacking, and that is much too many cases of a lack of sportsmanship among professionals.

Professional athletes need to lose egos, show sportsmanship, demonstrate respect and professionalism, while sports media and any other outlet of sports must recognize professionalism and take a stance on this issue. Sports have become plagued with a disregard for respect and professionalism, and the trends of contempt among fans are proof of this.