8 Reasons LA Is The Worst Place to Drive

Previous experience required.

38

I'm originally from Chicago, where the driving scene, I came to realize, is significantly better than in Los Angeles. Every time I drive in LA, something will happen that reminds me how badly this article needs to be written. Here it is - 8 reasons why LA is a horrendous place to drive:

1. TRAFFIC!

https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-in-yellow-blouse-and-blue-jeans-taking-selfie-while-sitting-on-car-787472/

Traffic in LA is like no other. You basically have to get on a freeway if you go anywhere further than three miles, and busy hour lasts for too many hours. Traffic near DTLA is far worst, but there's traffic going either way - towards downtown or away - at all times.

2. People are sh*t drivers. 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/auto-automobile-automotive-blur-451590/

Drivers in LA will brag about their driving 'skills' - like how they can cut down time, weave traffic, and dodge bad drivers. But in all truth, almost all of them are bad drivers themselves. They're just strategically bad, but it makes everything worse for the rest of us.

3. Too many modified cars. 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/auto-automobile-automotive-car-305070/

I'm a jumpy person and when someone honks, I'll twitch. So when a highly modified, loud as heck car comes barreling at me, I immediately go on edge. It doesn't help that these drivers are typically the over-confident ones who weave in traffic, thinking they're great, but putting up obstacles and tension for the rest of us on the road.

4. When it rains, everyone forgets how to drive. 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/black-coupe-parked-on-concrete-road-near-body-of-water-706103/

LA wasn't built for rain. It floods everywhere, the roads get slippery and extremely reflective, and most importantly, everyone goes at a snail's pace since they're not used to it. They'll go 10 in a 30 so unnecessarily and causes horrendous traffic.

5. Everyone thinks they're in the right.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-of-vintage-car-248370/

Road rage is a bad, and quite dangerous thing in LA - especially near downtown. Everyone thinks they're right, and the other driver wronged them. It's quite common for cars to be smashed out of road rage, or guns to be pulled in the middle of an intersection. People also honk at any millisecond that they have the slight glimmer of an opportunity to.

6. Everyone thinks they're in the right (again for emphasis). 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/action-asphalt-automobile-automotive-627678/

One time I got honked at while I was walking in a parking garage. I backed up and confronted the driver saying "why did you honk?". She said I didn't look both ways, but I had. I made the choice to walk because pedestrians get the right of way. I told her she needed to learn that rule, and she responded by showering me with insults and calling me 'stupid'. I don't know anywhere else where I could possibly be honked at in a parking garage, and for the driver to so firmly believe they are in the right.

7. People take signs/laws as a suggestion, not a requirement. 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/automatic-city-control-crossing-442584/

Double solid lines mean you don't drive across it. People do anyways. No right on red means no right on red. People don't care. Pedestrians get right of way. Except when the LA driver decides they don't.

8. Parking is sparse, expensive, or extremely narrow. 

https://www.pexels.com/photo/traffic-cars-street-traffic-jam-7674/

Parking is such a struggle in this overpopulated city.