12 Thoughts I Have As A Biology Major

12 Thoughts I Have As A Biology Major

Pre med is a conentration, not a major

1676
12 Thoughts I Have As A Biology Major

One of the toughest decisions I had to make when I was a freshman was what the heck my major was going to be. I weighed my options between journalism (surprise) and biology? I choose biology because I like it and want to work with athletes doing either sports medicine or physical therapy, but to get there, I have to obviously go through a rigorous college curriculum. This is just a small list of things I think (complain) about as a bio major.

1. "Is this what I actually want to do or am I just doing it because I think it will make my parents happy?"

Don't get me wrong, I actually want to go into the medical field, but when you have multiple family members in the field and you're the oldest to go to college, you feel the pressure.

2. "How many science classes do I have to take again?"

I practically live in the Science building of my university (luckily it's a short walk from my apartment). I have to take Chem 1&2 with their labs, Bio 1&2 with their labs, genetics and its lab, biostatistics, physics 1&2, human anatomy and physiology, ecology and its lab, cell biology, biochemistry, microbiology and lastly organic chemistry 1&2 and their labs. Excuse me while I go cry.

3."Organic chemistry is going to kill me."

Good ole Carbon. That's what organic chemistry is — the study of structure, properties and reactions of organic compounds usually containing some form of Carbon. From what I've heard, it's scary and I'm scared.

4. "Is there a Bill Nye video for this?"

He got me through elementary school science, he should be able to get me through college. Bill, hit me up, yo.

5. "So, there will be a curve right?"

This happened to me during my second semester general chemistry class. The first test, the class average was a 40 percent and my professor refused to curve. This semester, my professor said "no one wants a doctor who passed on a curve!" I can't say that she is wrong but I need to pass so a curve here and there would be nice.

6. SO. MUCH. MEMORIZATION.

I'm about to go through over 200 flashcards for just this semester, I can feel it.

7. "Those functional groups though..."

I have to memorize a good chunk of these by September 8th after my professor assigned these on September 2nd. I might tear my hair out.

8. "There are non science majors?"

Not to be a jerk or anything, I just hang around science people all the time so when I hear someone else isn't crying over ridiculous amounts of homework, I'm shocked. All majors are cool, people. Not everyone can be in a S.T.E.M major.

9. "I'm switching majors."

10. "I want to cry every night but I can't because I have to study."

Crying takes away from my precious studying time. It can't hurt to have a good cry once in a while right?

11. "What's a social life again?"

I feel bad for my friends, they never see me or hear from me because I'm in class constantly and reading/doing work constantly. I love you all I just got to chase after my degree.

12. "Why am I constantly in lab?"

I have two labs this semester, both early mornings for three hours. How do we all even wake up and stay up through those classes? And we can't even skip them, if you skip, you get a failing grade for that lab with no make ups.

13. "I may complain a lot about my major but I love it."

Biology is awesome. Especially being in the pre med program, I get to take so many classes that actually interest me.

Are any of you biology majors? If so, feel free to comment about your thoughts.

Some of my favorite biology memes: