Krispy Kreme Is Giving Away Free Mini Donuts In January

It's a well-known fact that most people give up on their New Year's resolutions within the first week, and the folks at Krispy Kreme are well-attuned to this idea.

For the rest of the month, the donut shop will be offering miniature versions of their beloved donuts in four flavors: plain glazed, chocolate frosted, chocolate frosted with sprinkles, and strawberry frosted with sprinkles.

To make their "Cheat Sweet" campaign even more enticing, the company is offering FREE mini donuts every Monday in January from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Just make sure the store near you is participating before you jump in the car, because a select few sticklers have opted out of the event.

Now, I know what everyone is thinking: "Thanks for ruining my progress towards a healthier 2020." But this campaign is backed with well-intentioned reasoning.

There's no doubt that the folks at Krispy Kreme know that many people are already trading wilted salads for the greasy indulgences they promised they would forgo in the new year—our donut-frying friends are not dumb.

But even if you think the new mini-treats are just another marketing gimmick that will increase Krispy Kreme's revenue and sabotage your dream body, hear me out. The company is releasing and giving away these bite-sized morsels of joy as a compromise. Think of it like an olive branch!

Since these donuts are much smaller, they contain less dough and require less oil, glaze, and toppings. As a result, each donut rings in at about 90 calories. This is a dream because these pint-size sweets are MUCH easier to fit into your day in comparison to the 190-250 calories packed into their original-sized counterparts.

Not to mention, a serving size of these minis ranges from two to three donuts instead of just one, so you get more sweetness for fewer calories! Finally, a realistic serving size!

Instead of quitting your favorite treats cold-turkey or inhaling an entire box of the sticky, golden rings, head out to your local Krispy Kreme and "treat yo'self" to a couple of mini donuts.

After all, a good diet is a balanced one: a balance of good for your body and good for your soul—and whose soul doesn't like a little treat every now and again?