5 Korean Dramas I Watched Throughout High School That You Should Watch Too

These are some of my favorite dramas I watched in high school that helped me in my language learning and created an artistic escape from a country town to the bright lights of Seoul.

39

I've been learning about South Korean culture and history since the beginning for my sophomore year. Using music, movies, dramas, and the blessed Google to try to further my studies because where I live, there's not much help in that area. As I was going through high school in my rural town, I really wanted to learn something new, but in a way that was easy and fun. I picked up watching Korean dramas and then I was hooked. Not only was the dialogue clear and easy to understand, but the storylines were wholesome and entertaining.

Now I know that dramas are exactly as they sound, a dramatized version of reality with hints of realistic elements to aid the watcher's relations to the scenes. So, I know not to believe in everything I see, but still there are the actions between people, the foods, locations, and ways of speaking that help with learning.

These 5 dramas I still remember vividly watching and loving because of the characters, story lines, and entertaining scenes.

"Fight For My Way"

The Kat Cafe

"Fight For My Way" is a romance, slice of life drama centered around four friends that have big dreams but are struggling to survive due to their "lacking abilities." Throughout the episodes, these four friends grow as individuals and conquer the odds presented against them in order to successfully live the lives they have always dreamed of. From childish bickering between the close friends to the unconditional support they give each other, this series is one that'll warm your heart and help you learn some pretty fun vocabulary.

Healer

Ji Chang Wook Kitchen

I can't really remember what drama was the first one I finished, but I know that this one is up there on the list. Therefore, it's near and dear to my heart. "Healer" is a romance and action drama featuring the actors Ji Chang-wook, Park Min-young, and Yoo Ji-tae. This drama is centered around a dark history of five friends who ran an illegal broadcasting station that was pro-democracy during the Fifth Republic in South Korea. This time alone is a really fascinating area of Korean history that I recommend you read about before you watch, even if it is barely highlighted in this drama. It's worth it. Moving on, the five-friend's history brings together three people: an illegal "night courier", a reporter from a small tabloid news website, and a famous journalist at a major broadcasting station, to bring light on incident that happen in 1992. These three grow as reporters and honest people with a little bit of comedy and romance thrown into the mix.

Something In The Rain

Lisyne Reviews

This drama right here really got the romance nut that I am in my feels. "Something In The Rain" is a fantastic drama to watch on a cold and rainy day when you need a sweet drama about breaking taboos. It is so simplistically and beautifully shot, with every scene integrating pops of color and wonderfully portrayed emotions. There are many characters to love, some to hate, and others that make you irritated, but all together they make a wonderful story line. This drama is about a woman named Jin-ah in her 30s trying to navigate her toxic work place with other female employees amidst sexual harassing male superiors. Her best friend has a brother named Joon-hee in his late 20s working as an animator for video games. Jin-ah and Joon-hee before had a "just acquaintances" relationship until they started getting closer. This is where the major theme of breaking taboos comes into the picture. The dating, familial, job, career, drinking, and food taboos are all portrayed in amazing ways, so overall, this drama is a really fun one to watch.

Signal

Channel Korea

This procedural, thriller drama is one of my favorites. If you aren't a romance enthusiast, this one's for you. It is about a cold case profiler from 2015 who stumbles upon a mysterious walkie talkie that allows him to communicate with a detective in 1989. Together they solve cold cases that have remained unsolved for years along side the amazing head detective of the cold case devision. However, when they alter the past, supernatural events occur in place of the actual crime. So they must be careful in what they alter and how much information they give each other because even worse things could happen. This drama has the incredible actors Lee Je-hoon, Kim Hye-soo, and Cho Jin-woong. They really make this whole drama what it is. Cho Jin-woong is in amazing actor who plays the part of the detective in 1989, and I still am blown away by his performance. I really recommend you watch this drama if you like mystery and thrill.

When The Camellia Blooms

Pantip

Now back to some wholesome vibes, this drama I binged my last semester in high school because of a few reasons: it is extremely easy to watch, there are cute characters, and an interesting killer on the loose. It is centered around a single mother named Dong-baek who opens a bar named Camellia. Throughout the years of business, she had to fight for her rightful place on her street due to some troublesome older lady's and fellow business women. Six years later, she meets a man named Yong-sik who's righteous attitude led him to become a police officer. Yong-sik quickly falls in love with her but she doesn't really reciprocate. He is a kind, respectful, and silly character that treats Dong-baek like the queen she is regardless of the fact she doesn't like him back (an ultimate simp). All the while protecting her from a killer who is dead set on murdering her. This drama is comedic, cute, and shows the prejudice against single mothers in South Korea quite well. This drama is one of my all-time favorites, and if you love a slow paced sweet romance, it will be yours too.