How You Know You're A Racer

How You Know You're A Racer

Benching doesn't always mean lifting weights.

25
How You Know You're A Racer
Murray State University

Some of the everyday aspects of living the life of a Murray State University Student are amazing. We endure so many different encounters on a daily basis that we forget how unique we really are. Here are some of the things that Murray State students don't think twice about, but to newcomers and visitors may seem odd or different:

1. Benching doesn't always mean lifting weights.

At Murray State the main walk through campus is lined with benches, where students sit between classes on warm days to get some fresh air. Benching is one of my personal favorite things about Murray. Students, faculty, and staff never fail to say hello when you've decided that "benching" sounds like a good time on a sunny afternoon.

2. Parking

Parking has always been a problem, but considering how great Murray is, we can't blame so many students for wanting to attend. The only way to properly emphasize how great you feel when you find a parking spot is that of a child finding the golden egg on Easter.

3. Chasing the pony

On the days you just want some grease filled foods in an insanely fast prep time, the Pony Express is the place to go (if you can remember where they are parked for the day).

4. Weather

I've woken up to pouring rain and temperatures of 20 degrees in the morning, only to get out of class in the afternoon to sunny skies, 60-degree weather, and a desperate need for more room in my backpack for my rain jacket.

5. Hammock Row

The best part of having long breaks between classes? Hanging around at Hammock Row. Notorious for cat nappers and nature lovers alike. Others visiting campus still don't know how we manage to hang hammocks above hammocks to the tree tops.

6. Finals week and sleep

You may find students lingering around Waterfield library during finals week but not for the normal amount of time. During finals, Waterfield is open 24 hours. Some students take full advantage and make the library their home for the week, with books, computers, and the cafe, it is the perfect temporary home for the time being.

7. The long haul

Living in the dorms makes walking to the business building a real task. I personally have faked injuries in order to pass judgement for riding in the elevator and I have no shame.

8. The shoe tree

We walk past these real life art forms every day without a glimpse. Imagine what people think about the shoe tree (Murray State loves shoes?). We fall in love with Murray State, we fall in love with each other, and leave our shoes nailed to a tree to represent how it all started.

9. All campus sing

It's almost every organization on campus. It's one of Murray State's biggest events. It's all in harmony. It's All Campus Sing.

10. "Friendliest town in America"

There are so many passionate, supportive, and amazing community members of Murray. These people make going to college here an opportunity not only to expand your knowledge but to expand your care for others. This community has taught me a vast amount about giving back.

Murray State is a unique, friendly, and entertaining University and I can't imagine being anywhere else. All of these aspects of Murray State are what make it a second home for the students all while providing an outstanding education. Last but not least, Go Racers!