As we immerse ourselves into a new semester, we're again filled with the insurmountable hope that it will a successful semester. One that is filled with A's, self-realization, and adoring professors. We always think "this will be the semester" and for many of us, the desire to attain academic perfection is there. In our minds, it is possible and something to strive for. And then the first week happens... and all the hope and confidence you had on Sunday diminish right before your eyes. We hope and pray that a stumble during the first week isn't indicative of how the semester will go, but let's be honest...
You Know It's Going To Be a Rough Semester When:
1. You print out the syllabus and it's 20+ pages long.
2. When the professor has you read and outline that syllabus before the first class period.
3. And then in an even stranger turn of events, you have a quiz on that syllabus.
4. When you spend an hour looking for a parking space.
5. When the whole parking debacle has made you late to your first class.
And your professor is not a cool and understanding dude.
6. You pull out your textbook, only to realize you bought the wrong one.
And chances are, you already spent the last bit of your money on beer and Pop Tarts.
7. You realize 20 minutes into the class that you're in the wrong room.
8. The professor asks you to take out your homework and because you failed to check Blackboard all weekend, you didn't do it.
9. Or when the professor launches into a class discussion over the reading you also failed to do.
10. When it's day 1 and you already have no idea what just happened/what is going on.
11. When the rest of the class totally knows what's going on and you're just flying solo in your confusion.
12. When the professor expects you to have a complete understanding of the subject before you've actually taken the course.
13. When you realize you're the dumbest person in the class.
14. When the professor jumps into a lecture 5 minutes into the first class.
15. When everyone in your class know each other from previous classes and you're just sitting in the corner, all awkward and lonely.
16. When you professor has you buy 5+ textbooks for their class-- all of which are required.
$800 later and you're pretty sure you're about to just READ your life away, no big deal.
17. When you look at your syllabus and see "students should anticipate reading 100 pages of their textbook each week."
18. And then you flip the page and see that 50% of your grade will be dependent on class presentations/debates.
19. When it's day 1 and you already have 2 papers to write, one quiz to study for, and 100 pages of reading to do.
20. When you celebrate finishing you first week with a mental breakdown. And a rather large glass of wine to ease the pain.
You did it. Barely.
Hopefully your first week was flawless and lacked everything in this list, but if not, hang in there, champ. We can do this.