What You Need To Know Before Getting Eyelash Extensions
Beauty Fashion

If You're Thinking About Eyelash Extensions, Let Me Give You ALL The Details

If you're thinking about getting eyelash extensions... you NEED to know these seven things!

482
Brityne Rucker

I've been obsessed with everything beauty from day one. I first got the bug to get eyelash extensions after seeing one of my friends look STUNNING day in and day out with and WITHOUT makeup. The summer after I graduated high school, my mama gifted me a gift card to get set of lashes at a local boutique.

Let me tell ya... worst mistake of my life.

After having both of my eyes chemically burned (I'll spare you the details & pictures) I decided if I was ever going to do lash extensions again... I was going to do my research!

Here are seven things EVERYBODY should know before they venture into eyelash extensions! (I got you girl)

1. Don't Go Cheap

Brityne Rucker

Take it from somebody who did... DON'T GO CHEAP!! These are YOUR eyelashes were talking about. For the most part, the adage "you get what you pay for" is true when it comes to eyelash extensions, and price dictates quality. The quality of the lash and even the glue is all about how much you invest in them. A lot of glues have latex in them, which can cause an allergic reaction on some people. That's why asking your lash technician questions (such as does the glue consist of a latex base) is so important...and if they can't answer those questions... RUNNNNN!!!

THE BIGGEST tip I can give you is go look at pictures of their work either online or on social media! Read the reviews and do your research!

2. Upkeep Is EXPENSIVE 

Don't kid yourself into thinking extensions will save you money on makeup in the long run. Before joining the cult of eyelash extensions, I too was dubious about spending almost a hundred dollars a month on such a habit.

In Wichita KS, an initial full set can put you back at least $110, but upward of $200 (regardless for fullness) for application by the most experienced technicians. And then you also have to tip. Plus, the entire experience can take up to two hours.

But the high-maintenance fun doesn't stop there. Because eyelashes grow and eventually fall out, you've also got to go back every few weeks for fill-ins (that's right, EVERY TWO WEEKS), which can cost anywhere from $50 to $80, depending on how many new lashes you need.

3. You Can't Wear Mascara   

I definitely was a falsies kinda girl. So when I got my first set of extensions and they didn't look full (AT ALL)... you better believe I was reaching for my regular waterproof mascara. THAT'S A MAJOR NO NO! You cannot use any waterproof/oil based mascara, as they make you tug on your lash extensions causing your real lashes to be ripped out.

If you feel like you would like your lashes to be fuller, I would look into OTHER places offering lash extensions... because let's be real, these things are expensive and we should get them how we want them.

4. It's Not One Size Fits All 

Just like your real fringe, extensions come in different thicknesses, lengths, and levels of curl to perfectly blend into your real lashes. You don't need to have superdense, dramatic lashes — you can get more natural extensions that look like you've just applied a few coats of mascara.

5. 24 Hour Grudge 

Chihuahua GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Most technicians will tell you not to sweat, cry, swim, or wash your face for at least 24 hours after getting extensions to give the glue a chance to dry. When glue doesn't dry, it can dissolve and invade your eyes, or vaporize in response to your body temperature, according to Zaina Al-Mohtaseb, MD, assistant professor of ophthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. These scenarios can trigger eye redness and irritation that's unflattering and uncomfortable.

I usually tried to push this to 42 hours as I felt I always got a few extra days out of a set if I waited longer. If you can, try to not get them wet at all. They'll last way longer. It's an impossible feat but the fewer times they're exposed to water, the longer they stay on.

You might look a little greasy... BUT DANG YOU'LL LOOK PRETTY!

6. Wind Is Your WORST Enemy

Fair warning I love my lashes big and bold and long, but wind with eyelash extensions... well, suck. It's a common sense thing, but you'll have to stay out of heavy winds if you want longer retention in your eyelash extensions.

Basically the more they move, the more they fall out. So dust off those sunglasses, you'll need em'.

7. It's Worth EVERY Penny

Bailey Hittle

I never thought I would be the one to be COMPLETELY ADDICTED to a beauty trend, but here I am. I honestly love my eyelash extensions so much and they give me the confidence to go on a day to day basis bare skinned. I would recommend anyone to eyelash extensions. That being said, do your research, pinch your pennies and don't be scared to go outside of your box on size and length.

As my lash lady says, "Getting lashes the first time is kinda like a boob job, you start out small but you'll eventually want to go bigger."