If I Knew Then What I Know Now About Moving Into College

Tips for the incoming college freshman.

647

As I went through the process of helping freshman move into their dorms this morning, I was hit with a little bit of nostalgia, as I thought back to the time just a few years ago when I myself was first moving in. Now I know lots of people address this topic, but I just wanted to share my own personal version of helpful tips to these incoming students as they embark on this epic journey. These truly could be the best years of your life, and I hope I can help guide you in a small way as you start out.

First, I would recommend meeting as many people as possible. Knock on your neighbor’s door. Join a club. Sign up for intramurals. The beginning of freshman year is all about meeting people, and you never know where you might meet your new best friends. However, it is important to note that the people you are friends with at the beginning of freshman year are unlikely to be your best friends all four years. So meet as many people as possible, and don’t take it too seriously if you don’t immediately find a group of best buds. You will find your niche.

SEE ALSO: Freshman Move-In Day Could Send You To The Emergency Room

Remember, your reputation is everything. You only get one. While you can always meet new friends, once you do something harmful to your reputation, depending on how bad it is, people will probably remember. This tip is especially relevant at smaller schools. So, just be nice to people, don’t talk behind people’s back and be a good person! It is truly difficult for people to come back from an early, tarnished reputation.

Lastly, try a new thing; that’s what college is all about. Many people come into college knowing who they are and what they want to do with their life. But, if you’re not in that category, that is okay! Take those interesting elective classes. Wait to declare a major. Join that new club you were always interested in back in high school. These are really the years you get to experiment and find what makes you happy. Take advantage of it!

Be a good roommate. Stay in touch with your family. Try to eat the right foods, sleep the right amount, and take care of your health. Focus on your studies, that is why you’re paying to be there after all. And most importantly, have fun! College is truly a wonderful place, you will meet wonderful people and learn so much. It is normal to be nervous or anxious, but as you find your place, you will come to realize how awesome it is to be a college student. Take advantage of the experience and maximize your time there. I can honestly say you get out what you put in, so give it your all!