Kind Words Cost Nothing

Kind Words Cost Nothing

Kindness in the grocery store,

1202
Kind Words Cost Nothing
yahoo Images

Kindness is the best prescription; a healer for old and new wounds.

Kindness can be expressed by the words that leave ones lips from "Hello", "How are you?", or "Want to grab a coffee?". Kindness can also be silent and found in a wave, an embracing hug, or steady eye contact. Maybe kindness is a bit of both as one wraps an arm around a friend, pulls them close, and whispers, "you're awesome" into their ear. Whether your kindness is vocal, silent, or a combination of both, you are a healer.

On Tuesday afternoon, I stopped at the grocery store on my way to class to grab something for lunch. I was already running late and quickly snatched a granola bar and a Gatorade off the shelf. I walked to the front of the store and to my dismay, every line was busy. I walked up and down, checking the time on my watch, anxiously trying to determine which check-out line would be the fastest. As I was about to surrender, put my items down, and rush to class on an empty stomach, a little bit of kindness turned it all around. An older gentleman, who only had a few items himself, offered to let me go ahead of him. I accepted his offer with gratitude and checked out a lot faster. Instead of being twenty minutes late to class, I was only ten minutes late.

It wasn't until I laid down in bed that night that I realized how much my mood had improved after the kindness I received at the grocery store. The gentleman's kindness, in which he expected nothing in return, instantly shifted me into a better mood. It served as a reminder of all the "good" things and parts of my day. It made me grateful that I safely traveled to and from school that day, have a bed to come home to, and a friend to call.

His act of kindness propelled me to pay it forward.

Kindness has taught me that when I can't be kind to myself, I can be kind to others. When my depression and anxiety try to shove me down a hole, by being kind to others, I can slowly dig myself out. Kindness has taught me that there is good existing among the bad.

Kindness is the cheapest form of therapy. After all, kind words cost nothing.